Mixing 2 batches at bottling? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mixing 2 batches at bottling?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts

Anyone ever mix 2 batches for a mystery beer? I know it sounds stupid but it could be interesting.

These 2 beers are so far off I figure why not mix up 2 bottles and see how it taste.

Porter/ipa

Thoughts?
Ęgir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ęgir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ
Liked 229 Times on 181 Posts

Try it. Report back with your findings. What could go wrong? Worst case scenario is you get two bottles of not so great beer.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

There is absolutely no reason not to try doing that with two bottles. If you wanted to do the entire batch I'd say you might regret it, but there's nothing wrong with experimentation.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
brycelarson
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts

I would mix into a fermenter and let it sit for a few days. Depending on yeast strains and fermentation conditions I could see a potential for some additional fermentation. Might be that one of the yeasties likes to eat some remaining fermentables in the other beer.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
BootstrapBill
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Chico, California
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was going to do a blend for a sour that I am making. You wouldn't be the first.
Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber

Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts

I won't be the last.

Yeah I might put done in a half gallon jug. Let it sit....
Ęgir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ęgir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
DPBISME
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Alexandria, VA
Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

I do it in KEGS everyonce in a while when I have a batch that is "Too Dark" or "Flavorless" mix the two together and get a drinkable beer.

I just took an existing Porter and mixed it with a HefeWeisen to make a DunkleWeisen.... I had an extra large batch of Hefe, was kegging it so I did a little blending to make a different beer.

I would mix the two in your bottleing bucket so they completely blend and then add you priming sugar.

DPB

Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Beer_Eugenics
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Laredo, TX
Liked 62 Times on 23 Posts

I have read this is how New Castle is made