Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oak Cubes & Bourbon - my first experience brewing with them

Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
ArcLight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default Oak Cubes & Bourbon - my first experience brewing with them

I made an All Grain (stovetop BIAB) Bourbon Barrel Old Ale (2 oz Medium Toast American Oak Cubes 10 Oz Makers Mark Bourbon, 1.072 SG - 1.015 FG)
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bourb...l-old-ale.html

I soaked the oak cubes for 45 days in 10 Oz. Makers Mark Bourbon.
I alternated placing the jar in the freezer and removing it to room temperature every 12 hours. I did this to cause the oak to expand and contract, better drawing out the tannins.

I didn't add the oak cubes to the ferementor, I just dumped in the Bourbon, figuring it had absorbed the oak taste after 45 days.

I just tasted a bottle after a couple of weeks of bottling, and 3 weeks in the fermentor - obviously not mature yet.

While the taste is ok, the oak is a bit strong, as is the Bourbon.
We shall see if it mellows over the next several months.

I dont really taste any vanilla, but it could be because I'm not a trained taster.

If I make this again, I will soak the oak for a bit less time, maybe instead of 45 days I will try 30 days.
Maybe I will use a couple of ounces less Bourbon (8 ounces).

I think 16 ounces of Bourbon and 2 months of soaking the oak cubes would be far too much.

It was a bit of a PITA making this via stove top BIAB, next time it will be BIAB with a brew kettle and burner, instead of two 5 gallon pots on a weak stove.
I mashed at 150 and gave it 3 weeks. The FG had remained stable for a few days, but after bottling with the corn sugar packet (5 Oz) from Midwest, its over carbonated. A big pop, and then a gusher after 10 seconds.