Am I too late for a good christmas ale brew ?? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I too late for a good christmas ale brew ??
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Was reading a thread on christmas ale brew, it seems interesting but I need info...

Why do you guys all start brewing christmas beer in agust or september ??

Is it because it is a long beer to condition ??

There seems to be alot of spices in the beer do they need to sit for a while to develope even better ??

I usualy do 30 days in primary and 30 days in keg at 12 psi before drinking...

Will this method change with christmas brew ??

Thanks

Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1565 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 965

To me, a good Christmas brew will be a dark beer (I think dark beers go better with spices) with a little higher alcohol content than a summer beer. The time to mature a beer increases with the darkness of the grains and the higher alcohol. If you were looking for a porter style with 5% alcohol, the flavors would meld quite well by Christmas but it is quite possible that a very dark stout at 7% alcohol would need until Easter or even later. Both beers would be quite drinkable by Christmas but their peak flavor is what I am looking for.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 62

My wife's favorite Christmas beer is an amber, plenty of time for that. You've still got time to make one as long as it's average gravity! I
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Can you guys sugest a long ageing amber all grain brew with alot for toffee and caramel tastes ready and carbed for the 20 th of december