Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Do you know how this worked?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
kerant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Do you know how this worked?

Family is cleaning out my inlaws house in Chicago and I came across this. My deceased father in law had a basement bar and this set up for beer. probably hasn't been used in 20 yrs. Had my wife bring it home for the tap but I'm wondering- 1) how was this used? 2) Can it be used like this again or is there another setup I can use that coil for?
Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	079.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	74158   Click image for larger version

Name:	081.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	74159  

Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Looks like a heat exchanger. I imagine the space around was filled with ice, and the beer was drawn through the line to chill it as it was poured. Basically the same concept as a cold plate.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
carltjones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agree with weirdboy - looks like a jockey box.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Old jockey box. If that coil is stainless steel, you should be able to run some beer line cleaner through it. I've never seen a tap like that, so what I'd do is put the cleaner in a cornie and run some through, then crank the pressure up to 30 psi and see if there are any leaks.

The little tank at the top of the coil might be there to keep the tap cold. As parts, the coil looks like it connects to a standard shank.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
kerant
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Old jockey box. If that coil is stainless steel, you should be able to run some beer line cleaner through it. I've never seen a tap like that, so what I'd do is put the cleaner in a cornie and run some through, then crank the pressure up to 30 psi and see if there are any leaks.

The little tank at the top of the coil might be there to keep the tap cold. As parts, the coil looks like it connects to a standard shank.
I'll be getting into kegging but I'm not there yet. Kind of what I figured; it was filled with ice and connected to a keg. Any other ideas on what to do with this thing. If the coil is S.S I'm thinking it would make a nice wort chiller. As for the tap when I do set up a fridge would it be easy enough to hook up considering it's an older tap.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Not sure on the tap, but thats an old jockey box, and by the looks of it, appears to be copper inside there.

Not much use for at the house. But if you could update the tap, as I'm sure it's not working from the age and corrosion, you have a pretty solid jockey box. Fill with ice and water, and the pre chilled keg can be ran through there and the beer will be chilled down even more.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Schumed
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I think it would be a cool display piece...I want to see it all cleaned up with all that copper in there

Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
kerant
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
I think it would be a cool display piece...I want to see it all cleaned up with all that copper in there
Do you think the coil is copper. I just took it apart a while ago and the coil feels very light compared to my copper wort chiller. I need to find out what it is then decide what to do with it. What's the best way of cleaning it all up if it is copper. It looks like the inside of the box is wood frame with copper sheeting lining it.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

If it's copper, it would be green like the inside of the box. It might be light just because it's short. Boiling in white vinegar is one way to clean copper.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 307

The coil is probably aluminum. Spray the insides with vinegar and it should start to clean up. Great display once it's clean.
They use to rent these for about $2 when you bought a keg back in the 60's..

bosco