Star Trek or Star Wars? - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Star Trek or Star Wars?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #61
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
Still haven't played the third one yet, but the first two were awesome. Bioware's Dragon Age is damn good too, and certainly better than the Elder Scrolls games...
I haven't played the 3rd yet either, I'm holding out for the winter when it's cold and rainy, because I know how good it is. I haven't played Dragon Age, but I remember seeing the GI write-up on it. I actually wasn't the hugest fan of Skyrim, the whole experience was too detached, cold and impersonal.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #62
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Bioware makes some awesome games. Bringing it back to star wars with kotor, the first one being the great star wars game I've ever played.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #63
phenry
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I haven't played the 3rd yet either, I'm holding out for the winter when it's cold and rainy, because I know how good it is. I haven't played Dragon Age, but I remember seeing the GI write-up on it. I actually wasn't the hugest fan of Skyrim, the whole experience was too detached, cold and impersonal.
Your self control for waiting is a lot greater than mine. The whole reason I started playing the trilogy was seeing the launch trailer for ME3. As in this one:

http://youtu.be/AluTOOCVXVQ
And since that moment way too many hours of my life have been spent playing that game.

But to actually answer the original question: Star Wars all the way. Not just because I like the movies more, but because of how many awesome games have come from the series. KOTOR, Battlefront, Empire at War, and Force Unleashed are all pretty awesome in my books.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #64
snyklez
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ah I miss video games. I actually played some MW3 tonight, first time in two months. That's the only game I've played this year. Was there ever a really great trek or star wars game?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #65
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 554 Times on 390 Posts

The Super Nintendo Star Wars games were really fun (one for each of the original trilogy).
N64 Shadows of the Empire was fun, and Rogue Squadron was a blast.
There was a PC game for Phantom Menace that was really fun, an RPG type.

But my favorite thus far has been Battlefront - the first one was good, and the 2nd one was epic. Play as Obi Wan / Anakin / Vader / Yoda / Darth Maul / Mace Windu? Yes. yes.

I played ~30mins of the new Star Wars MMO The Old Republic, and was bored out of my mind. Major bummer.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #66
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Those old super NES Star Wars games were hard. There was no saving and there was a lot of tricky jumping and timing to do, so it was just a question of how far you could get before you died and were too frustrated to pick it up for awhile. I think maybe it gave you some continues, but they were very finite.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #67
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
The Super Nintendo Star Wars games were really fun (one for each of the original trilogy).
N64 Shadows of the Empire was fun, and Rogue Squadron was a blast.
There was a PC game for Phantom Menace that was really fun, an RPG type.

But my favorite thus far has been Battlefront - the first one was good, and the 2nd one was epic. Play as Obi Wan / Anakin / Vader / Yoda / Darth Maul / Mace Windu? Yes. yes.

I played ~30mins of the new Star Wars MMO The Old Republic, and was bored out of my mind. Major bummer.
I had a lot of fun playing Jedi Knight 2 with friends in high school. Epic lightsaber battles made even more epic by turning cheats on, on the server, allowing me to give myself a Darth Maul-style double-sided saber, when nobody else knew how

Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #68
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyklez
...Was there ever a really great trek or star wars game?
For trek not really. I played 2: bridge commander and that one fps from the end of voyager. Don't remember what it was called. And if you want to give star trek online a try I think it's free right now.

For star wars though, TIE fighter, x wing, x wing alliance, rogue squadron were all really good. I've heard good things about the Jedi knight series. KotOR was awesome, and the mmo is good. And yeah many of the snes and n64 games were great. Basically if it says star wars in the name it is a 50/50 chance of either being awesome or crap.

*edit: same goes for star wars movies. Go figure.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #69
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Grants Pass/ Nuevo, Or. / Ca.
Liked 100 Times on 65 Posts

TNG for sure.
This thread got me thinking about science fiction, in my late teens I totally got in to science fiction books, The Martian Chronicles, anything by Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke. I couldn't get enough. And that of course, reminded me of the time I, and some friends went to see the movie 2001 Space Odyssey, that had just came out.
So I got some friends together (I was 20) for the trek to Los Angeles from the suburbs. My younger brother (18) volunteered to drive (borrowed Mom's car). Then on the Friday night of the trip downtown (30 miles) younger brother talked the other 3 of us to try acid, he assured us that it was safe, he'd been doing it for a year, so we nervously agreed. OMG, what a night
Funny when you think about how long ago that was, and that I'm still sane More or less

Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #70
husker

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Lincoln, Nebraska
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I chose a girlfriend