Star Trek or Star Wars? - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Star Trek or Star Wars?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #41
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Star Wars is substantially better in my opinion. The original trilogy at least. This video sums up how I feel about the newest 3.

Star Trek has always been too thick with schlocky corniness for me to really enjoy, and it only got worse with subsequent series. Ok so Star Trek does have the cuter girls. I will give it that. But that's it.

oc_brewing Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #42
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyklez
Enterprise was great, so was voyager. Picard was definitely the best captain. I also like that Patrick Stewart still voices a lot of animated characters. In fact I watched the latest episode of futurama and I believe he was the voice of the fox-hunt foreman.
Didn't even notice. I recognized the judge's voice but I'm not sure from what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
Star Wars all the way.

I mean, come on:
Lightsaber vs. Phaser?
The Force vs Spock grip & mind melds?
Jedi robes vs 80's spandex?
Harrison Ford vs Shatner?
Jar Jar vs...ok, Trekkies got that one

We got death star...we'll blow your planet up. Plus Yoda. And Calrissian...Colt 45 malt liquor, works every time...
Yes, this is exactly why I found Star Wars to be far superior when I was a teenager. Everything is just made to be "cooler". And that's about it.

But I just don't see how (adult) serious sci-fi fans would ever pick Star Wars over Star Trek. The themes the latter explores are really what classic science fiction is all about.

I'm surprised Voyager gets so little love though. Some of the episodes were among the best I've ever seen on TV.

Guilty pleasure? Stargate SG-1

Old 09-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
Guilty pleasure? Stargate SG-1
Geek! Geek.

Favorite movie Serenity?

Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
kosmokramer
Recipes 

Aug 2011
SoCal
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

All the nerdiness in this thread takes away whatever cool points we had as brewers...lol

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #45
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I prefer SG 1 over trek or wars. Got a bit worse with Atlantis and sgu sucked balls trying to be like bsg. But if you want classic scifi it's gotta be doctor who

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #46
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Geek! Geek.

Favorite movie Serenity?
The series was better. But I don't consider Firefly a guilty pleasure... it was a good show!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous
I prefer SG 1 over trek or wars. Got a bit worse with Atlantis and sgu sucked balls trying to be like bsg. But if you want classic scifi it's gotta be doctor who
Yeah, I agree that the other Stargate series were nowhere near as good.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Although I did like the last few seasons of Atlantis better than The last few of SG 1. Once you change the cast all around it's hard to keep the same good feel. I still don't like Matt Smith as the doctor and his companions just bore me now.

Firefly was amazing, as was doll house. To get back to the topic though, I agree voyager was good, as was DS9 but didn't much care for enterprise. Maybe I just didn't watch enough. Never could get over steering away from classic star trek melody for that crappy song.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #49
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Lone Jack, Missouri
Liked 128 Times on 106 Posts

Well when you start adding in all the other sci-fi shows Firefly takes the cake.

I'll still stand by trek over wars though. Trek just also added so much for technology as well. Think of everything trek had that wasn't invented yet, from automatically opening sliding doors to an MRI machine. Stuff wasn't even thought of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Schemy Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #50
thepartsmancometh

Recipes 

Jan 2010
central, IL
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
Well when you start adding in all the other sci-fi shows Firefly takes the cake.

I'll still stand by trek over wars though. Trek just also added so much for technology as well. Think of everything trek had that wasn't invented yet, from automatically opening sliding doors to an MRI machine. Stuff wasn't even thought of yet.
in real life, the sliding oor was around before star trek.
H.G. Wells was a tad ahead of the Horton's AND star trek...
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?bnum=763

and that site is a great way to waste time!

totally agree on firefly too!