Star Trek or Star Wars? - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Star Trek or Star Wars?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #91
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

It's because when too much is digital it just gets boring. Sure it takes talent but much of it is just too perfect. Look at death of Obiwan. Not a ton of flashy well choreographed swordplay, just what you'd expect from an old hermit war hero.

But then trek doesn't even have saber battles. Or great action sequences. Much more drama and sci-fi driven than action.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #92
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous
It's because when too much is digital it just gets boring. Sure it takes talent but much of it is just too perfect. Look at death of Obiwan. Not a ton of flashy well choreographed swordplay, just what you'd expect from an old hermit war hero.

But then trek doesn't even have saber battles. Or great action sequences. Much more drama and sci-fi driven than action.
I doubt he'd disagree. That's why the prequels sucked. Good action is useless without solid storytelling, though the latter can shine just as much without the former. Maybe they would have been more well-received 10 years earlier during the golden age of dumb action flicks.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #93
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyklez

Ha ha that's so true. Plus, this thread has made me realize why I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars. Anakin can mow down a bunch of little kids, but has an easy change of heart at the end? Plus, the lightsaber battles were incredible in the newer (prequel) versions, and when you watch the originals, they just seemed geriatric.
True, the light saber duels were a little tame compared to Darth Mauls ninja skills.. But you have to figure it was WAY before its time on all accounts. Movies just weren't as intense in the 70's, and those first 3 movies set the bench mark for special effects that are still highly relevant in today's cinema. The use of camera effects, lighting, and models was nothing short of genius. In fact, this thread has got me thinking I need to do a SW marathon with my boys. I doubt if any but the eldest can even remember watching them.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #94
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

I still haven't watched ep. III

Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #95
alpha224
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
Skip it, trust me...you will not regret it. If you can find a cliff notes version on YouTube, you won't feel like your time was wasted, IMO

Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #96
tchamber
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Winchester, Virginia
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Sort of off-topic, but Happy 46th Birthday, Star Trek

Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #97
snyklez
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchamber
Sort of off-topic, but Happy 46th Birthday, Star Trek
Yeah, the google doodle pays homage to the event. Evidently it's pretty cool, but my stupid company won't upgrade from ie8.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #98
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha224 View Post
Skip it, trust me...you will not regret it. If you can find a cliff notes version on YouTube, you won't feel like your time was wasted, IMO
It was better than I or II. Worth watching for the opening sequence and lightsaber battles. Turn it to karaoke-style, with no words, just music & sound effects, pretty good.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #99
tchamber
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Winchester, Virginia
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
It was better than I or II. Worth watching for the opening sequence and lightsaber battles. Turn it to karaoke-style, with no words, just music & sound effects, pretty good.
The long single-shot battle sequence at the beginning is one of the best CGI sequences ever.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #100
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 9081 Times on 7228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchamber View Post
The long single-shot battle sequence at the beginning is one of the best CGI sequences ever.
And was something like three or four times longer than what made the final cut.