Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pumpkin ale critique

Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
chrism583
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Pumpkin ale critique

Like everyone else it seems I'm doing a pumpkin ale. I'm fairly new to this having only done two other batches before and would appreciate some insight into this batch.

5 Gallons
8 lbs. Roasted pumpkin
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal malt
.5 lb. Malted wheat
6 lbs. light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood hops
.5 oz Hallertauer hops(finishing)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla and cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ginger, nutmeg, and allspice
Wyeast 1056 American

I had planned on starting my 3 gal. boil with the grains and pumpkin in strain bags and removing them once a boil was reached. After that I was going to put in the DME & Mt. Hood hops until the 45 minute mark and, at that point, put in the finishing hops, vanilla, and spices until 60 when I start to let it cool.

How does all this sound?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Pumpkin ales, despite the name, are still primarily made with grain for the grist. This recipe contains approx. 80% pumpkin. I highly suggest reading up on how to brew a proper pumpkin ale instead of following your original concept, which will yield more of a vegetal pumpkin wine.

mjdonnelly68 Likes This 
Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Pumpkin ales, despite the name, are still primarily made with grain for the grist. This recipe contains approx. 80% pumpkin. I highly suggest reading up on how to brew a proper pumpkin ale instead of following your original concept, which will yield more of a vegetal pumpkin wine.
I think you missed the 6 lbs DME in there. But I'd probably come back on the pumpkin a bit. From what I have read, there is rarely a great deal of pumpkin, if any, in pumpkin beers, oddly enough. I don't think they have a great deal of flavor.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Still, 8 lbs. of pumpkin is a huge amount for a 5 gallon batch. I personally only enjoy pumpkin beers made with real pumpkin... they can keep the spiced versions.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
chrism583
Recipes 

So what would you suggest? Take it back by half? Maybe down to 2 lbs?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Still, 8 lbs. of pumpkin is a huge amount for a 5 gallon batch. I personally only enjoy pumpkin beers made with real pumpkin... they can keep the spiced versions.
No, I completely agree.

chrism583: So what would you suggest? Take it back by half? Maybe down to 2 lbs?

From what I've read 1-2 pounds is plenty. I'm making one this weekend and will use about two pounds in the mash. This is the thread I'm basing my recipe off, if it helps...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punk...0/index23.html

It's actually fairly close to yours, with less spices I think. I'm also adding vanilla to it, and will test this graham cracker extract on half of them to see if I can mimick a pie crust. Also I will be using 3/4 oz warrior hops and 1/4 oz styrian gold hops in place of the ones listed because that's what I have on hand. Hope some of this helps...

Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
chrism583
Recipes 

It absoloutely does help. Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm trimming the pumpkin down to 2 lbs. and we'll see how she goes. Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
theBFG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How'd this turn out? You end up brewing it?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use 7 lbs. of canned pumpkin puree in my 5.5 gallon pumpkin ale and it tastes great! 8 lbs. would be fine, but I don't think you would get very good starch conversion for the pumpkin only doing a partial mash with 1 lb. of Vienna. If you know someone that brews using all grain methods, you could brew a double batch and split it with them.

Good luck!

Cheers.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
chrism583
Recipes 

Thanks for all the feedback. What I ended up going with was the following:
5 Gallons
2 lbs. Roasted pumpkin
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal malt
.5 lb. Malted wheat
6 lbs. light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood hops
.5 oz Hallertauer hops(finishing)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla and cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg and allspice
Due to a hungry nosy dog drinking my original yeast starter I had to use Coopers in a pinch.

Wort tasted and smelled good. I'll keep you all posted.