Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Experimenting with mint

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Halv2MX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Experimenting with mint

I'm currently fermenting an all grain Brown Ale recipe that I've created using the chocolate mint tea leaves growing in my backyard. Yesterday I transferred it to the secondary fermentor, checked the gravity, an took a taste. To my surprise the mint was far more stronger than expected; the aroma was magnificent, I could smell everything. The chocolate, the mint, the hops, and grain all had an equal combination that blended well with the flavor which was a strong bitter mint and flavorful maltiness that covered the whole tongue just like you get from a great brown ale. I only used 0.5 oz. at the o point (no flame heat) of the boil, letting it settle for 8 min. I look forward to the finished product. I think next time I will try the chocolate mint in a porter or a stout recipe which already have a lot of chocolate notes to the flavor. If anyone has tried this before give me shout and let me know how your beer turned out, if I'm the first I will definitely let you know how it turns out along with the opinions of my tasters.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Beerknapper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently brewed with mint, nothing dark, I was just experimenting. I searched for as much information as I could about brewing with mint and found almost nothing. I put the mint in the secondary with a simple syrup because my previous attempts of "dry minting" didn't give me great results. I'm happy with the flavor, but I'd like more aroma, maybe I'll have to do a little of both next round. I had thought about adding during the boil, I just had no idea what would happen when boiling mint.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6056 Times on 5221 Posts
Likes Given: 81

The best way to experiment with mint is to infuse it with rum, lime, soda, and some simple syrup.