Originally Posted by scorpien222
When sanitizing my equipment I use ... Milton's ... contains bleach
Around winemaking using bleach is considered an extremely bad practice ... one should avoid the habit of anything “chlor”.
Chlorine is one of the two elements that create TCA (trichloroanisole) ... known for the musty, moldy taint it causes, this is a compound that even in very small amounts is a really fast way to ruin a large batch of wine and so is a big concern in commercial fine winemaking. Corks are known to absorb TCA... this is “cork taint” ... natural corks also allow TCA to transfer thru them from the environment during long term storage. Bentonite and filter pads are known to absorb it too (viz. good storage practices).
Hypochlorite containing solutions are avoided throughout the winery; cellars, barrel rooms, tasting rooms etc. This includes avoiding washing equipment or anything else in a commercial dishwasher which uses hypochlorite as the sanitizer.
Sani-Tabs, Bar-Rinse, bleach etc ... are all out. Not in floor drains (chlor based floor washes or bleach), not for cleaning surfaces, nothing.
In fact when big wineries use municipal water, they actually use carbon filters to remove the chlorine and chloramine. We use metabisulfite. This is a good practice too for any wine which you are going put down to age if you do not want to take the risk of it possibly ending up smelling like a wet dog.