lagering? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lagering?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
william2010
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


How can I get down to 55 for fermenting, my fridge doesn't go that high

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
shelly_belly
Uncle John's Band
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
shelly_belly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Blow Southerners!
Posts: 1,658
Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts


Use this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-type_airlock.jpg
Views:	3360
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	73918  

worksnorth Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010
How can I get down to 55 for fermenting, my fridge doesn't go that high
I don't know what your situation is, I personally can only ferment lagers in the winter and spring. What I've done is put the fermenter of wort in an ice bath in an ice chest and let it hit 50, then pitch. In the winter the garage is about 50, so I don't meet to add ice once I get it there, and the water bath keeps temps stable. In the spring I swap out 1 frozen liter bottle of water every day to keep it maintained. If your doing the same thing that may change to 2 pints a day. Who needs a fermentation chamber?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
william2010
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

I don't know what your situation is, I personally can only ferment lagers in the winter and spring. What I've done is put the fermenter of wort in an ice bath in an ice chest and let it hit 50, then pitch. In the winter the garage is about 50, so I don't meet to add ice once I get it there, and the water bath keeps temps stable. In the spring I swap out 1 frozen liter bottle of water every day to keep it maintained. If your doing the same thing that may change to 2 pints a day. Who needs a fermentation chamber?
Are you talking like a box that you built for putting ice in to keep it cool?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Are you talking like a box that you built for putting ice in to keep it cool?
Just simply an ice chest. I use a cube type chest and that seems to work well. I used to use a Rubbermaid tub as an ice bath and that was hard to keep stable temps in, but an ice chest works great. Someone on the forum has even rigged one up with a foam lid to put over the fermenter to hold in the cold. I think it was Yooper actually. I have no plans to ever build a ferm chamber. It's just too unipurpose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
william2010
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Just simply an ice chest. I use a cube type chest and that seems to work well. I used to use a Rubbermaid tub as an ice bath and that was hard to keep stable temps in, but an ice chest works great. Someone on the forum has even rigged one up with a foam lid to put over the fermenter to hold in the cold. I think it was Yooper actually. I have no plans to ever build a ferm chamber. It's just too unipurpose.
Hmmmm, I'm just having a brain fart. Ice chest is to small?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Hmmmm, I'm just having a brain fart. Ice chest is to small?
Most chests will fit a bucket or carboy. I like the cube style ones because the water comes up higher on the bucket.

So to recap, you put your fermenter in the chest, and fill with ice and water. When it's chilled, you maintain that temp by adding frozen bottles of water as necessary. It's surprisingly easy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
biestie
 
biestie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Marion, IA
Posts: 388
Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v
Just curious (being new to lagers), why not just lager it in a keg?
Winner winner chicken dinner

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
william2010
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Posts: 139
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Most chests will fit a bucket or carboy. I like the cube style ones because the water comes up higher on the bucket.

So to recap, you put your fermenter in the chest, and fill with ice and water. When it's chilled, you maintain that temp by adding frozen bottles of water as necessary. It's surprisingly easy.
Is it to cold to ferment at 45 degrees???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by william2010

Is it to cold to ferment at 45 degrees???
Depends on the strain. The Urquell strain that I like to use is good at 45.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump