Alternative Sugar Beer Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1335
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Slightly sweet (very slight) from honey malt. Smooth flavored and enjoyable.
4.0 oz Rice Hulls 1.5%
14# Pale Ale, UK Bairds Malt 86.2%
2# Honey Malt (25 L) 12.3%
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] Boil 15 minutes 8.90 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss Boil 10 minutes
1.50 oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] Boil 10 minutes 9.80 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20% AA] Boil 5 minutes 2.10 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20% AA] Boil 1 minute 0.5 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [7.20% AA] Boil 1 minute 0.8 IBUs

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes with 24qt
Heat mash to sparge temp (168-170F) over 10-15 minutes
Sparge with 5.75 gallons at 168F as first wort drains. Allow sparge water to rest for 10-15 minutes then drain as well (stop draining first wort when HLT is empty).

Ferment for 3 weeks at 60-65F then transfer to serving keg, or bottle. Carbonate to 2.2-2.4 CO2 volumes.

Honey malt contribution is not over-powering. You get a hint of malty/honey sweetness from the malt. With an IBU/SG ratio of 0.357, it's well balanced. Yeast retains malty flavors in the batch.

It's so easy to drink that you have to watch it. Especially at ~6.2% ABV. Depending on how much you can handle at least. I normally don't do more than two pints in an hour. Otherwise, I start to really feel it. Luckily, I drink at home, so it's easy to get to bed. :D :drunk:

Looks good...but you could lose the rice hulls, maybe save them for something more likely to be sticky or cause a stuck sparge.

Unless you have sparge issues already.

Looks good...but you could lose the rice hulls, maybe save them for something more likely to be sticky or cause a stuck sparge.

Unless you have sparge issues already.

I use it as cheap ($1.25 per pound) insurance against stuck sparges. I have plenty of them still (bought 4# of them a while back) so it's not an issue. You can eliminate them if you wish, but it's an easy thing for me. I typically add half the milled grain, mix, add the rice hulls, then mix in the remaining grain when I start the mash.

Going to do this one next weekend, subbing in Golden Promise as the base malt.

GP should give you as good a result as the base malt I used (maybe better, depending on how you like GP). I simply stock Bairds Pale Ale (UK 2 row) and Maris Otter base malts, so that's what I use. If you don't get stuck sparges (at all) and want to remove the rice hulls, I would just keep the ratio of base to honey malts the same. Basically, make the base malt 87.5% and honey malt 12.5% and you should be fine. Since rice hulls are only there to prevent a stuck sparge, you can make the recipe work with your hardware by maintaining the percentages. Then adjust the hops additions to keep the IBUs from the additions. That's for either batch sizes, or hop AA%'s that can be different. The hop combination works out really well in this batch (EKG and Fuggles) so I wouldn't change those to anything else.

What yeast did you use for this? What batch size is this so I can convert it?

Sorry I was initially looking at it on my phone app so the top part of the post wasn't displayed.

Let me guess, you're using an iphone... :rolleyes:

I've learned to select 'request desktop site' whenever on my phone, or an android tablet (I don't own a [cr]apple tablet, never will). Means I get the normal display on my devices that way.

BTW, I've increased the honey malt in the latest batch of over 15% of the grist with even better results. I know you're supposed to limit it to no more than 10%, but that didn't give what I wanted. 15%+ did.

Latest posts

Back