Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > lactobacillus in a crockpot

Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pitched a packet of S-05 after 3 days.

Here's what it looked like a few days after pitching yeast:

Secondary:
Kegged: Nothing :(
Bottled: Blonde Lambic (Aug 2012), Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just took a gravity reading the other day and it's down around 1.002 and still not really sour. At least not to the level I was expecting. Will it develop sourness over time if I let it sit for another month or two?

Secondary:
Bottled: Blonde Lambic (Aug 2012), Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
Fred82
Recipes 

Yes, give it some time, you should get more sourness with time. The profile should also get cleaner... I always get a fair amount of graininess at first but it clears out after 2-3 months.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A lot of it depends on the Lacto species you have. Some don't like hops at all, and will not sour. Most are tolerant of only small amounts of hops.

You should have tasted it before pitching the yeast. The alcohol will also slow the lacto. Once the alcohol has developed it can take a very long time to sour (if at all).

I believe BWs should be made quickly and drunk young. Sour first, then add yeast, bottle carb, and drink after only a few weeks.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think I used an ounce of low alpha hops in the mash and that was it.

From what I read, pitching the lacto first was just to give it a head start and not necessarily to create all the acidity up front. You're right though, I probably should have tasted it before pitching the yeast.
Secondary:

Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
chitowngator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just bottled my berliner that was made in May. The gravity sample was tart at room temp, but less so coming out of the fridge. While this one carbs up I was thinking of doing another 2.5 gallon batch. I can only put 0.5 gallon in the crock pot to sour. Would a higher gravity wort, ie 1.050 be more sour than 1.030? Any drawbacks to letting a higher gravity sour?

When its time to add to the additional 2 gallons it could be mashed to give me the proper gravity for a berliner. I'd let the full volume continue to sour at room temp then pitch the yeast.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Still not getting much sourness after a month and the gravity is at 1.002.

I'm not sure if I should keep waiting or just add some lactic acid for a little sourness and drink it now (and then do another one and make sure I get the sourness I want before pitching yeast).
Secondary:

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
jonthebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

29th floor what flavors are you getting in your Berliner Weiss?I brewed mine 45 days or so ago with the raw grain method dropped into wort for a 3 day head start and then finished with WLP001. It's a really good beer that has apricot notes but is only slightly tart. I've tasted it after a month and nothing is changed so I doubt there's much sourness coming later on. I'm just curious if we have a similar beer. Also keep in mind that brett doesn't need a gravity drop to work but Lacto does. At 1.002 I doubt much further sourness will be added with time.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah that sounds similar to what I have. I'm not sure if I'm getting apricot but it does have good flavor for a low gravity beer. It smells like it's going to taste sour and then it doesn't which I think is what's weird about it.

If the lacto needs a gravity drop to increase sourness I doubt I'm gonna get much more at this point. I'm strongly leaning towards adding a little 88% lactic acid and bottling... just to get a bit of sourness in there. I dont want to overdo it and have it taste artificial, but I think it still needs a little something.

Secondary: