Tart of Darkness - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Tart of Darkness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,051
Liked 157 Times on 127 Posts


I am absolutely in love with the idea of this beer.
Would anyone who gets this kit please,please,please post the grain bill, hops and mash temps info.
Living in Thailand I can neither get the beer nor the kit.
Cheers,in hope,Lee

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
cheyneyr
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Montague, MI
Posts: 17
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


The kit does not include the yeast, but does include a 2oz package of oak "bourbon chunks."

Grain:
10 lbs American Pale
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Flaked Oats
8 oz Black Roasted
6 oz Chocolate

Hops:
.5 oz Czech Saaz (60 minutes)

Also includes:
1 Whirfloc tablet
4 oz corn sugar

***edit****
The paperwork also includes the extract information which replaces the 10 lbs American Pale with 8 lbs Ultralight LME.

Reason: Added extract info

3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneyr View Post
The kit does not include the yeast, but does include a 2oz package of oak "bourbon chunks."

Grain:
10 lbs American Pale
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Flaked Oats
8 oz Black Roasted
6 oz Chocolate

Hops:
.5 oz Czech Saaz (60 minutes)

Also includes:
1 Whirfloc tablet
4 oz corn sugar

***edit****
The paperwork also includes the extract information which replaces the 10 lbs American Pale with 8 lbs Ultralight LME.
Yep, looks pretty much like a simple Stout or variation of multiple stouts, oatmeal mainly I suppose and keeping the hops low as bugs like lacto don't like them.

Seems like this would be an easy extract to do with all those specialties. I have some harvested roselaire waiting for something...........

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,051
Liked 157 Times on 127 Posts


cheyneyr, thank you very much for that. That looks like even I could do it with my limited resources.
Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Rob_B
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 394
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts


Very cool. I have a stout recipe that's very close except for the hops and instead of oats I use flaked barley. Think I'll just tweak what I've got and try this one out.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Berkley, Michigan
Posts: 1,018
Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts


what is the mash temp? 158?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #17
cheyneyr
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Montague, MI
Posts: 17
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
what is the mash temp? 158?
The mash temp wasn't specified on the Tart of Darkness specific brewing sheet. They included a generic All Grain Brewing Instructions sheet that gave a range of 148 - 158.

I went for 156 and pretty much got it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Berkley, Michigan
Posts: 1,018
Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneyr

The mash temp wasn't specified on the Tart of Darkness specific brewing sheet. They included a generic All Grain Brewing Instructions sheet that gave a range of 148 - 158.

I went for 156 and pretty much got it.
Scary LOL. Thanks for the info.
__________________
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
Malty Dogs Homebrew Club
AHA Forums "dkfick"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
microbusbrewery
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
microbusbrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
West Jordan, UT
Posts: 1,794
Liked 214 Times on 171 Posts


Do they say how long to oak it, or is it simply "to taste"? I haven't tried this beer but it sounds awesome.
__________________
http://www.microbusbrewery.org/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
cheyneyr
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Montague, MI
Posts: 17
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
Do they say how long to oak it, or is it simply "to taste"? I haven't tried this beer but it sounds awesome.
It said to add the oak cubes after 6 months and leave them in 'to taste.'

I haven't had it yet, but a friend of mine just acquired a bottle of the real stuff in a trade. He said he might hold on to it until mine is ready so we can do a side by side. Not sure if he was joking or not.

Anyway, the airlock really started bubbling last night. I brewed it Saturday afternoon.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source for tart cherries? ReverseApacheMaster Lambic & Wild Brewing 7 08-24-2010 03:13 PM


Forum Jump