Dog Breeders are Nuts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like some nut jobs the OP had to deal with.

My neighbors spent about 5 grand each for two German Shepards and had them shipped from Germany! I guess it was their Hummer. Status BS. Nice dogs but the first needed hip surgery within 6 months, don't know about the other. Luckily they moved out of the neighborhood.

We have a dog that we adopted from the local shelter. He's a Pommeranian/Chihuahua mix. Beautiful little guy with a heart of gold and dark brown eyes that could pierce through JC himself. He is only around 3-4 years old and very much part of the family. The only regret I have in bringing him into this family is 10-15 years from now when he passes on.

It will be a super sad day. Until then we'll just have many good times together.

Regarding ribs showing, my kids all are skinny and their ribs show. They are humming with energy from when they wake up till they finally go to sleep, probably a lot like your dog. It's not unhealthy to be thin, especially in youth. It's metabolism. You wouldn't be able to feed that dog enough to make him fat. This is how much they eat for breakfast - about 800 calories. Does anyone want one of them? :D

image-2498756976.jpg

When I got my first Brittany it cost less and was much less of a headache to go through a breeder instead of the rescue group. Pity really. I have rarely been contacted by the breeder for any of my dogs after the first year. They kind of lose interest after that or they have another litter of pups to whelp...

About time for me to get another pup anyways... Its been three years. I have puppy fever again lol.

My rescue dog cost me $400 which included his first year shots, neutering, and transport from Alabama. The total time expenditure was a half-hour to fill out an application, a half-hour on the phone talking with the rescue organization (mostly b/c I had more questions for them than they did for me), and four hours driving to/from Vermont to pick him up (that was where the pick-up location was set up). Being generous, I would say total expenditure was $600. I'll admit this is one of the most expensive ways to rescue a dog.

I'd be surprised if you were able to get purebred/AKC brittany pup for anything close to this price, and I'm pretty sure they don't come neutered/spayed (an additional cost if you decided to do this).

I rescued a Brugg (1/2 pug, half brussels griffon) about 3 years ago. He's a great dog and goes to work with me every day. All the rescue people wanted to know was if I had my own home with a fence and were my kids OK. It cost about $500 to get him transferred from the crazy rescue lady to me, then about $1200 more over the first year in vet visits to straighten out his illnesses and diet. The rescue group covered the neutering, but everything else was on me. So now when people ask me about rescuing dogs, I ask them if they have the 2k up front to put into a rescue because it certainly is possible it will cost that much within a year. I don't think it deters the people who actually think about what they are getting into.

I wouldn't trade him for the 2K I had to put into him at this point. Here is a shot of him around last Christmas contemplating an early gift, and the other was taken 5 minutes ago.

Ernie2.jpg

Ernie3.jpg

I wouldn't trade him for the 2K I had to put into him at this point. Here is a shot of him around last Christmas contemplating an early gift, and the other was taken 5 minutes ago.

Dude, future reference, we don't need to see any fresh squeezed gifts from your dog. Mkay? ;)

Bottlebombers response reminded me... We're all conditioned to think being a little overweight is healthy. My kids are considered "underweight" compared to most lard butts that go to their schools. But they eat like crazy and they are active and my doctor says they are extremely healthy! I can't imagine a dog being much different.

I feed taste of the wild too. Fish an potato. Pretty much nothing else in it. Stinks like hell but my beagles love it. Science diet gave them rashes and stuff. Stupid food allergies!

My rescue dog cost me $400 which included his first year shots, neutering, and transport from Alabama. The total time expenditure was a half-hour to fill out an application, a half-hour on the phone talking with the rescue organization (mostly b/c I had more questions for them than they did for me), and four hours driving to/from Vermont to pick him up (that was where the pick-up location was set up). Being generous, I would say total expenditure was $600. I'll admit this is one of the most expensive ways to rescue a dog.

I'd be surprised if you were able to get purebred/AKC brittany pup for anything close to this price, and I'm pretty sure they don't come neutered/spayed (an additional cost if you decided to do this).
Got my first one for $250. Second was $450. My dad was with me when I got the first one. He can negotiate a loaf of bread from a starving man.Both are spayed/neutered and I live in the middle of nowhere so vet bills are chump change compared to other places in the US. I loves the breed, if I could have gotten a rescue one for around the same amount I would have but I would have had to travel a lot father than what I had to for my two and it would have cost more...

Back