Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Gambrinus honey malt?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I always wondered if it would work well in a bier de garde since most of the top ones indigineously do have this distinct honey sweetness to them, especially Jenlain ambree and printemps . . .gooooooood stuff!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
jamesdawsey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkaeppel View Post
I used a full pound of Honey Malt in an Outer Limits IPA

One of the best IPAs i have brewed and the Honey Malt was very pleasant.
@drkaeppel: how large was the whole grain bill that this went in? My honey pale ale finally completed and 2 oz. in a 9 lb. bill ended up with a rich honey flavor and aroma. It's delicious, but I wonder if 10% honey malt might be a bit much. What do you think?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 142

My entire grain bill was 14.75lb, so 1lb = 6.7% honey malt.

I've never tried a recipe with 10% honey malt. I imagine it would be a pretty dominant flavor, but with enough hops to balance it out, it may actually turn out nicely.

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My honey ale was made with the hop burst method (all hops from 15 minutes from the end, forward). With a total of 5.50oz of hops, the flavors balance out very well. It probably would have been very different if I did a more traditional hop additions, but I wanted more hop flavor/aroma in the batch without it being overly bitter too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
boysbrew2012
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you are going for a honey pale ale add a few pounds of it to your grain bill. I agree that it tastes more like honey than actual additive of honey. Add 7.5 pounds of 2 ROW 1-2 pounds of honey malt and .5lbs of cara-pils and 1-1.5 oz of cluster ...maybe some maize and oats and you got a fantastic summer ale !!!! try and keep the OG under 1.045 or else it gets a little boozy

Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My honey ale is over 15% honey malt to the grist. Otherwise it's just UK 2 row malt. Hop bursting method for that part (20 minutes from the end forward). Batch coming up uses 7oz of hops, due to lower AA% levels on the main hop used.

I won't add maize to my brews. Have yet to find any that would actually benefit from such an addition. IF/when I brew a stout, I'll probably add flaked barely to it.

BTW, the majority of my brews are over 6% ABV. My 8.8% mocha porter has a little after-effect on it. But they're all smooth and clean.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine