HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Earl Grey Mead.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
Krausen89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent44 View Post
I made a mead using dried juniper berries, (my skyrim mead) and then aged on oak for a month, i racked it off and it's still waiting to be bottled but it tastes fantastic! Can't wait to see how it is in a few months!

that sounds really good. do you have a recipe? i would like to try that. what kind of wood did you use? i have also heard of people using oak leaves as a bittering agent. i also want to try a hopped mead. not sure what i am going to use in that either.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
agent44
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krausen89 View Post
that sounds really good. do you have a recipe? i would like to try that. what kind of wood did you use? i have also heard of people using oak leaves as a bittering agent. i also want to try a hopped mead. not sure what i am going to use in that either.
Hahaha it was one of my first meads I made and well I wasn't very thorough about taking notes, off the top of my head for a one gallon mead I did three pounds of honey around half a cup of dried juniper berries and topped it off with bottled spring water, and pitched Lalvin EC 1118. I racked onto an oak product that my lhbs had in stock it's mulched oak whiskey barrel, I used a couple rounded tablespoons. I've racked it off the oak now, it was on for a month, and it's now clearing. I also used peptic enzyme and nutrient. No gravity readings because I never had a hydrometer then lol cheers

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
mooney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was thinking of trying this but with more of an earl grey than tea taste. Do you think using the bergamot extract they make earl grey out of would work. I think it its an oil extracted from the orange skin so would this dissolve in the mead? I doubt I'll be able to track down bergamot oranges in Scotland for a reasonable price.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #24
Krausen89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney
I was thinking of trying this but with more of an earl grey than tea taste. Do you think using the bergamot extract they make earl grey out of would work. I think it its an oil extracted from the orange skin so would this dissolve in the mead? I doubt I'll be able to track down bergamot oranges in Scotland for a reasonable price.
The recipe i used was pretty good. Not too much tea or earl grey taste. next time around I might use a couple more teabags. I steeped them for 3 mins in hot. Not.boiling water. 6bags in 2 cups water. Then added to must. Just tried the same recipe with yerba matte and a little sleepytime tea. Going to add 1/4tsp cannabis to the secondary.