what style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedBeard1

Reaction score
Made a beer from the leftover bits of previous batches. what style would you put it in? here is the recipe:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1604999

can't find a style match on hopville. was going to secondary the whole thing on some roasted green chiles, but i liked the hydrometer samples so well that i only did half on chiles. just curious as to what you might call it. I'm calling the chile half "Hot Dog Chile Beer" to follow a theme of putting my beagle on the labels. but how about the other half?

It's probably closest to an American amber, but not really because of the high IBUs and the German finishing hops.

It should be really really really bitter, so you could call it an American bitter if you want to give it a name. :D

How is almost 76ibu's 'not even close' to an ipa?

I'm asking to learn not be a weiner ;)

It'll be really bitter since it's got 76 IBUs, but the OG is only 1.053. There is one ounce of centennials for flavor hops, but the only other late hop addition is tettnang- a German noble hop. There will be very little hops flavor, no hops aroma, and the beer will be strongly bitter.

It won't have the ABV or the hopping to be an IPA. Yes, it'll be bitter, but that's not what makes an IPA. An IPA has hops aroma and flavor (usually even dryhopped) and the malt backbone to support the hops, starting at 1.056 at a minimum. I hope that helps!

I didn't say it would be a good ipa. I've had ipas before that had no hip aroma and little hip flavor.
Maybe more of an old school British ipa?

Yooper said:
It'll be really bitter since it's got 76 IBUs, but the OG is only 1.053. There is one ounce of centennials for flavor hops, but the only other late hop addition is tettnang- a German noble hop. There will be very little hops flavor, no hops aroma, and the beer will be strongly bitter.

It won't have the ABV or the hopping to be an IPA. Yes, it'll be bitter, but that's not what makes an IPA. An IPA has hops aroma and flavor (usually even dryhopped) and the malt backbone to support the hops, starting at 1.056 at a minimum. I hope that helps!

Yes! Thanks

You might be able to get away with a vegetable beer (21a) or a specialty beer (23a) as long as you get some smell and flavor from the chilies. It seems like those categories are wide open.

Let me know how it turns out - i'm planning on making a Belgian specialty beer with scorpion peppers (go big or go home?) and one of the ideas was to pad it with green chillies.

Plan on cracking a bottle on Sunday to check carbonation. It sat on roasted chiles for 2 maybe 3 days. I was planning on longer but when I pulled a sample it had plenty of that veggie-lime pepper taste and a good amount of heat. Primed it for 2.6 volumes co2 to make it a nice lively beer, also cause I have been told that something about the chiles makes it difficult for the co2 to dissolve. I'll update when I open one. Not planning on competing with it but thanks for all the info!

image-622782577.jpg

So I've just poured a glass after work and I am pleased! No head at all, but nice sharp carbonation. Hopefully it will develop a bit more in the next week. Great "green" aroma. Not of young beer but green as in fresh vegetable, slightly citrusy. Smooth drinking, refreshing with good bitterness up front and gradually warming to heat the back of your mouth and throat as you swallow. The heat lingers for just a few seconds and fades. Slight roasted pepper taste but there is a lot going on with hops and the heat. Not incredibly bitter...doesn't taste like 77 ibu. A keeper recipe for sure! Any of you around SW VA care to come over and critique a bottle on the porch?

Back