Giving cider away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
I got a co-worker that frequently asks me when I'm going to have more cider available. "Oh I've got some, but not for you" I feel like telling him! Last excuse I had was that I ran out of caps to bottle with (which is true) and then he offered my one of his half gallon growlers to put some of my cider in. Dude a half gallon of my cider??? Chill out bro! This chit ain't that easy to make and it's time consuming at that. I only give my ciders away to people that appreciate it or if they happen to be around when I have some line BBQ's and such. Anyone else have this problem?:)

Teach him how to make his own. He'll wind up appreciating the effort it takes, will be able to make as much as he wants, and might wind up sharing back.

Yeah maybe. It's the part where he asks for some that gets me, you don't ask for cider, you receive it or get your own;)

I have the same problem with one or two guys at work I have mentioned that I have started brewing and a few times now I have had a when's the free booze coming in I have just turned round and told them there is no free booze it all costs money (although it isn't much) not that I have told them that only a select few.

Yea I gave some ciders to some of my "friends" at work and told them to be hush hush about it. Well word got out and this one guy that I don't really get along with was like "eh man, when ya gonna bring ME some of that beer you brewin?" I was like dude in out at the moment gotta get some more supplies.

image-165066936.jpg

One of my friends at work I do share with brought me this from colorado. Now that's cool. Sharing is fine but not giving and not receiving.

Not really, but I don't have any co-workers and most of my beer drinking friends homebrew themselves. Plus, I don't bottle. People are welcome to drink my beer when I have parties.

Tell him straight out, NO, he's not on the distribution list.

I'm pretty open with sharing my cider with most folks, most of the time, but those people who just assume that since I made it myself so it must have been 'free' really get my goat.

Funny how those types of people rarely get invited to BBQ's, concerts and parties etc.

+1 to sweet brew and live 311 :rockin:

I had some people over for a BBQ. I had a keg of beer bunch of cans and some wine. I broke out a bottle someone to try and he kept asking for more. I enjoy watching others enjoy my cider almost more than I enjoy it myself. But when I'm running low I hoard the stuff.

I'm blessed in that most of my coworkers have a deep respect for my homebrew. I give away 10 bottles per batch, and it's first come, first served.

I get this a LOT, particularly about my cider. People really don't understand the time and effort it takes to make a great cider. I give them out like water but mostly only to family and close friends.

A lot of my friends that want some of my brew I usually make help me clean bottles or bottle, puts into perspective what we actually do AND I get free labor!

Good luck on the denials!
Cheers

I usually ask what they have to trade. Living where we are it usually is fresh caught fish from the bay, so i am all about it. It has to be a good amount though. Last guy gave me over 2lbs of fresh caught and smoked salmon for a six pack. Totally worth it to me.

Other than that, I usually only give to friends. My wife likes the stuff too much!!

I guess i'm lucky, my friends and coworkers as well as my wifes always offer up something in trade or slip me something to cover expenses. I've received fresh walleye, smoked venison, rack of ribs etc.... I'm brewing a 1/2 batch of Upstate Mikes caramel apple in exchange for getting my pickup detailed.

Maybe it's because I'm new to brewing, but anytime someone is excited to drink one of my concoctions, I enjoy sharing. For me it's one of the thrills of brewing, to make something that others want to drink.

Although half a gallon is quite a bit, and I agree it's a good time to teach them how to make their own. Cheers

Unfortunately I have slowed down on drinking beer because I am doing a low-carb diet, so I have been giving a lot away lately. I don't necessarily brew to get drunk all the time anyway, and if that is what I wanted to do there are much cheaper and easier ways to do it. I definitely reserve enough beer/cider to have to taste and take notes on how it is evolving with time.

I am not about giving away bree brew either, I am all about the trade though! If someone is interested in trying my brews I usually ask if they want to trade something for it.

Guys,
Trading in homebrew is illegal. just because you're not trading it for papers with dead presidents doesn't mean the Feds will let it slide. Keep it quiet.

Yea I gave some ciders to some of my "friends" at work and told them to be hush hush about it. Well word got out and this one guy that I don't really get along with was like "eh man, when ya gonna bring ME some of that beer you brewin?" I was like dude in out at the moment gotta get some more supplies.

A quick fix for this guy is to bring in a still botttle conditioning batch. Tell him he needs to let it age for a week. Once a couple of bottles blow, he'll stop asking.... >:)

Find out what he could trade.

I know its illegal, but keep upping on his offer until he stops offering.

Guys are getting smoked salmon and ribs for pete's sake!

Maybe this guy will offer his wife's home made bread. Counter offer for a freezer full of beef.

He'll say you're nuts, but keep it so high he'll walk away.

Or give him some training on how to do it using grocery store apple juice.

Maybe that'll get him off your back.

He is treating you as a "cider slut"....figures you are giving it up to everyone else so you might as well give it up to him too.

I would just bottle up some diluted apple juice and tell him to be careful with it, that it is really potent.

A couple times going through this routine and he will probably drop off your radarfor good.

I had a dog that begged at the table. I cured him of it by always giving him a slice of lemon. He stopped begging, because the result sucked.

As others have suggested, if you have a few bottles of something that didn't work out quite right, that's the stuff to give to this guy.

Back