First AG Brew?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Brew??

Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
wells11
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Planning on my first AG brew in September. Problem is I can't decide on a porter or stout?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Heh... just read an interesting take on how "porter" and "stout" can often be used to describe the same beer. Go with a recipe that is relatively simple (i.e. no starter... dry yeast, simple grain bill, fewer hop additions). that'll help you concentrate one process. Lil Sparky's Nut Brown is a good choice. I'm sure you can find an easily accessible recipe in the stout/porter categories too. Let us know what you decide!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Liked 357 Times on 299 Posts

You do realize you don't have to pick just one, right?

Either would be a fine place to start. Just pick a nice, medium gravity recipe and give it a shot.

JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
allenH
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Sanford, Florida
Liked 2680 Times on 1578 Posts

I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem. There are a lot more variables when switching to all grain, more than I was ready for. 5 AG batches later, I think I am finally getting a grasp on them.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Bryan, TX
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem.
I think doing a lower-gravity/sessionable beer makes a lot of sense for your first round too. But this doesn't preclude the styles you are looking at -- you could try a brown porter or a dry stout, for instance. Just poke around the recipe section and find one that has a target OG of about 1.040 or so and you'll be fine.

I look back at the notes I made during my first brew session and just laugh -- I was so high strung! Definitely glad I was working with a simple recipe and not trying to take on a RIS or something.

Good luck on your first brew!

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Liked 1738 Times on 1162 Posts

Either would be delicious! I 2nd other opinions here to stick with a lower gravity, simple recipe first time out. Bigger beers can be difficult to get decent efficiency.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
wells11
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, but I have decided on a brown ale. Looks pretty simple and low gravity.