Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Brew??

Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
wells11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First AG Brew??

Planning on my first AG brew in September. Problem is I can't decide on a porter or stout?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Heh... just read an interesting take on how "porter" and "stout" can often be used to describe the same beer. Go with a recipe that is relatively simple (i.e. no starter... dry yeast, simple grain bill, fewer hop additions). that'll help you concentrate one process. Lil Sparky's Nut Brown is a good choice. I'm sure you can find an easily accessible recipe in the stout/porter categories too. Let us know what you decide!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You do realize you don't have to pick just one, right?

Either would be a fine place to start. Just pick a nice, medium gravity recipe and give it a shot.
JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2494 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1020

I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem. There are a lot more variables when switching to all grain, more than I was ready for. 5 AG batches later, I think I am finally getting a grasp on them.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem.
I think doing a lower-gravity/sessionable beer makes a lot of sense for your first round too. But this doesn't preclude the styles you are looking at -- you could try a brown porter or a dry stout, for instance. Just poke around the recipe section and find one that has a target OG of about 1.040 or so and you'll be fine.

I look back at the notes I made during my first brew session and just laugh -- I was so high strung! Definitely glad I was working with a simple recipe and not trying to take on a RIS or something.

Good luck on your first brew!

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1239 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1604

Either would be delicious! I 2nd other opinions here to stick with a lower gravity, simple recipe first time out. Bigger beers can be difficult to get decent efficiency.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
wells11
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the feedback, but I have decided on a brown ale. Looks pretty simple and low gravity.