How high to fill the carboy - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How high to fill the carboy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
tschmitt
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Dayton, OH
Posts: 64
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I racked my first 5 gallon batch to secondary. Secondary is a better bottle. How high should I fill the secondary? Main batch was 5.25 to start going into the main fermenter. Now after allowing for trub etc it does not appear to be a full five gallons. Worried about it getting too much oxygen if I don't fill to the neck. Tried to upload photo...should I top this off to the neck? It is an Octoberfest Marzan if it matters.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	73502  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts


It looks OK.

Its going to outgas some and its not going to be a long secondary like a RIS or a wine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Jaehnig
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 226
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Should the secondary be filled up to the neck or close to? My first beer will be headin there in a few days and knowing this ahead of time would be great.
__________________
V/R,
BrewTech

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
!, !
Posts: 1,290
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaehnig View Post
Should the secondary be filled up to the neck or close to? My first beer will be headin there in a few days and knowing this ahead of time would be great.
Yes it should. It's not a big issue if it will only be there for a week or so,but like amandabab said if it is a RIS or Barleywine or other brew that needs time then it is more important to be full so it does not oxidize

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
tschmitt
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Dayton, OH
Posts: 64
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


It is easy enough to do, no harm in doing it right?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Jaehnig
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 226
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear

Yes it should. It's not a big issue if it will only be there for a week or so,but like amandabab said if it is a RIS or Barleywine or other brew that needs time then it is more important to be full so it does not oxidize
I am not familiar with RIS, what is it short for? I'm new to the actual physical brewing as well as to the forums. I don't believe mine will be too long. Just a pumpkin ale.
__________________
V/R,
BrewTech

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaehnig View Post
I am not familiar with RIS, what is it short for? I'm new to the actual physical brewing as well as to the forums. I don't believe mine will be too long. Just a pumpkin ale.
Russian Imperial Stout. Really high gravity, takes months in the carboy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Jaehnig
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Posts: 226
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


So how about an O.G. Of 1.055-1.065?
__________________
V/R,
BrewTech

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carboy at 75, Wort at 90 -- Fill the Carboy? maltoftheearth Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 08-28-2011 09:00 PM
How high to fill bottles DBONES Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 01-16-2010 07:53 PM
How full should you fill a 6.5G carboy? humann_brewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 01-20-2009 09:14 PM
First Batch Not Enough Wort to Fill Carboy earthad1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 12-19-2008 07:15 AM
Secondary How High to fill??? SJMIKEUS Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-23-2006 12:43 AM


Forum Jump