Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wanting to "improve" the recipe

Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #31
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 8924

Ok. Sounds like a plan. I guess I'll make the wort tomorrow, but cool it overnight in my freezer (bought for the specific purpose of brewing at a steady temperature) and then pitch everything Tuesday evening and see how it goes! I'm still debating about buying another smack pack on top of a 2-stage starter, just to make sure I have enough yeast. Can you "over-pitch"???

Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #32
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
Ok. Sounds like a plan. I guess I'll make the wort tomorrow, but cool it overnight in my freezer (bought for the specific purpose of brewing at a steady temperature) and then pitch everything Tuesday evening and see how it goes! I'm still debating about buying another smack pack on top of a 2-stage starter, just to make sure I have enough yeast. Can you "over-pitch"???
Yes you can, but it's actually harder than you would think. The yeast will stop when they have consumed all of a limiting nutrient (Nitrogen, O2, sugar, etc.). If you are going to pitch that much yeast I would recommend using O2 in the wort and using FermAid-K nutrient.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #33
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 8924

No sweat. I'd already planned on both of those. 'Course I'm not using "FermAid-K" I'm using Wyeast yeast nutrient. I thought I'd put a couple teaspoons in the wort. Will that be enough?