Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving water!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Saving water!

I brew with a 10 gallon setup from 3 sanke kegs converted into HLT, MLT and BK. When I brew I usually do 10 gallons. Obviously to brew water is used, and a lot of it goes down the drain, sanitize solution, washing out the mash tun, drinking (I brew outside, it gets hot) and many other uses. So of course I expect my water bill to show a bit of a change if I brew a few times a month rather than just once.
I hook the end of my immersion chiller up to a hose and fill up a 50 gallon rain barrel and use ice packs in place of ice when chilling the wort in a water bath.
Does anyone have any good tips on how to conserve and reuse any of the water used on a brewday?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 108

No-chill requires no extra water to chill with. I only use water for the brew and cleanup.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

No-chill?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I dont have a water bill, so I dont share your concerns. A buddy of mine, though, used to have the output end of the chiller go to a 5 gallon bucket to dump in the washing machine on laundry day. Wont save water on brew day but it will on laundry day.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
PoorYorick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No chill as in finish brewing, and put a lid on your BK or transfer it to a container with a lid and set it somewhere cool to chill overnight. I do it every time I brew. I rack my wort to a fermenter and place it in my cool garage with a fan on it and it cools in about 8 hours. Never had a problem with efficiency.
Kegged: #10 Christmas Ale
Bottled: #8 Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled: #6 Lucky 5 IPA

Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
No chill as in finish brewing, and put a lid on your BK or transfer it to a container with a lid and set it somewhere cool to chill overnight. I do it every time I brew. I rack my wort to a fermenter and place it in my cool garage with a fan on it and it cools in about 8 hours. Never had a problem with efficiency.
What he said OR you can put your wort (above 200*F) in an HDPE container and chill in that over night.

If you are interested, search for the "exploring no chill" thread. Lots of great info on there.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Have you had any problems with infection from leaving it in the boil kettle for 8 hours? when transferring hot wort into a carboy have you had any problems with oxidation due to hot side aeration?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
Have you had any problems with infection from leaving it in the boil kettle for 8 hours? when transferring hot wort into a carboy have you had any problems with oxidation due to hot side aeration?
You want to aerate/oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast. Yeast love the oxygen and it helps them do what they do. After fermentation is when you risk oxygenation.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

lol - I wasn't aware you could "waste" water. But anyway, how much extra do you think you are going to pay sending an extra 20 gallons down the drain? On my bill, this would be covered under the minimum usage. I think you are looking at a false sense of economy here.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

As I understand it you want to aerate the wort once it is cooled instead of while it is still hot to avoid oxidation in the finished beer. Also, I have read that leaving the wort at hot temps but not boiling for an extended amount of time can cause DMS, that creamed corn flavor. What about infection, Poor yorick? Great name by the way, haven't seen any other Shakespeare references on any homebrew forum.

PoorYorick Likes This