Plain ole hard cider - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Plain ole hard cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
natureboy68
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Long Island, NY, Long Island, NY
Posts: 46
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I am able to get unpasturized apple cider from a local cider mill, i do not want to pasteurize it, my plan is to pitch a slurry/starter of either S-04/05 or Nottingham, with a bit of energizer and nutrient, immediatly and let it go...do the cider gurus see anything wrong with this? Any other yeast suggestions?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Brockport, NY
Posts: 930
Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
I am able to get unpasturized apple cider from a local cider mill, i do not want to pasteurize it, my plan is to pitch a slurry/starter of either S-04/05 or Nottingham, with a bit of energizer and nutrient, immediatly and let it go...do the cider gurus see anything wrong with this? Any other yeast suggestions?
Nottingham and S-04 are both good choices. Add the yeast, put on the airlock, put it in a dark cool area ((60 - 70 degrees) and forget it for about 3 months. A hydrometer reading at the beginning and end would help to determine the alcohol content, But based on just raw cider you may end up with a 5 - 6% ABV product.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

natureboy68 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
JtotheA
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Aurora, IL
Posts: 186
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Are campden tabs recommended?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
natureboy68
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Long Island, NY, Long Island, NY
Posts: 46
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


upstatemike you rock! thanks!

i dont want to add campden tablets, i want to keep it as natural as possible, however i do know that some people will sulphite it first to knock out any wild yeasties, to get it ready for the good yeasties

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
JtotheA
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Aurora, IL
Posts: 186
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
upstatemike you rock! thanks!

i dont want to add campden tablets, i want to keep it as natural as possible, however i do know that some people will sulphite it first to knock out any wild yeasties, to get it ready for the good yeasties
I respect that. I have yet to add any chems to my cider. Haven't gotten my hands on any unpasteurized juice yet, but I'd be tempted to take your approach.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Middle of the Mitten, Michigan
Posts: 807
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts


The commercial yeasts should be able to overtake any wild yeasts if you pitch while as fresh as possible.
__________________
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol.
Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life.
I have 8 carboys, 8 cornies, 5-1 gal jugs, 200 wine bottles, 10 cases of beer bottles and a nice assortment of flip tops....My goal is to keep them at least 50% occupied

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
porcupine73
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Posts: 813
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts


Nice plan, I'm hoping to be able to make hard cider from unpasteurized cider as well. Does anyone recommend adding any sweeteners to try to boost the alcohol content? I think I can get unpasteurized cider from cleanly raised apples from Busti Cider Mill.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
natureboy68
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Long Island, NY, Long Island, NY
Posts: 46
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


i understand you can use dextrose, or honey if you want a cyser, i will probably make two batches: regular cider and cyser with local honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Nice plan, I'm hoping to be able to make hard cider from unpasteurized cider as well. Does anyone recommend adding any sweeteners to try to boost the alcohol content? I think I can get unpasteurized cider from cleanly raised apples from Busti Cider Mill.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
mathin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 160
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


I make a cyser with 5 gallons of cider and 3 pounds of honey. Usually gets close to 10% ABV. I ferment it dry, add some priming sugar and end up with a champagne like beverage. I've used Lavin 71b and a Lavin champagne yeast. Both worked well. This fall I'm planning on trying a Belgian yeast to see if it adds some spiciness. Not sure if I'll go with just cider or add the honey.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #10
JtotheA
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Aurora, IL
Posts: 186
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mathin View Post
I make a cyser with 5 gallons of cider and 3 pounds of honey. Usually gets close to 10% ABV. I ferment it dry, add some priming sugar and end up with a champagne like beverage. I've used Lavin 71b and a Lavin champagne yeast. Both worked well. This fall I'm planning on trying a Belgian yeast to see if it adds some spiciness. Not sure if I'll go with just cider or add the honey.
Three cheers for Belgian yeast! I didn't let mine go to dryness but it was a big hit with those I shared it with.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cider newbie - process questions for kegged sweet hard force carbed cider jfdimarco Cider Forum 3 02-23-2013 11:53 AM
First Time Plain Ol Cider Droot Cider Forum 10 12-05-2011 03:14 PM
Can bad cider be turned into hard cider? BrewAlchemy Cider Forum 4 10-15-2011 02:22 PM
Blueberry Hard Cider (using SORBATED cider!!!) Rooster286 Cider Forum 3 10-07-2011 12:45 AM
worried about cider tried to go plain jane. becon776 Cider Forum 16 02-13-2011 12:48 PM


Forum Jump