Pretty awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So, i just got done brewing St. Patty's Bleeding Patsy (Irish Red) and i decided to time my wort chiller.

Wort chiller is 25 feet of 3/8 inch copper pipe wrapped. I put water in my bottling bucket drain from there through siphon tubing into chiller and back out into the yard... It took me about 2 minutes from stopping the boil to opening the spigot. I got the temp down to ~125 in 20 minutes. I heard that since cold break is at 140*F you want to get below that within 30 minutes... Thought i'd share, sometimes simple works just fine. Now to let it cool while i'm out to eat so i can pitch the yeast when i get back.

It was all grain and 6 gallons, i thought that was pretty good. I was wondering if this was actually acceptable timing?

Sounds good to me. It will chill much faster in the winter months when the ground temp is a lot lower (if you use a garden hose).

I moved to 10 gallon batches and my wort chiller is not adequate right now. I need to double up the length.

BierMuncher said:
Sounds good to me. It will chill much faster in the winter months when the ground temp is a lot lower (if you use a garden hose).

I moved to 10 gallon batches and my wort chiller is not adequate right now. I need to double up the length.

Yeah so far the only problem is that it's 83*F outside and the hose water is only around 70*F so it slows a bit and i have to wait for that little bit... I'd chill faster if my whole wort chiller were in the wort but about 2-3 loops are out, but i figure eh if i do 10 gallons later in the year it'll be perfect...

Back