Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottles in dishwasher

Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
crosschk
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hello,

I had some bottles donated to me and I just got around to getting the labels and glue off (sierra nevada bottles) they feel like they still have some residue on them from the glue.

I was thinking of running them through the dishwasher to a) remove the residue and b) try the disinfecting setting on the dishwasher.

I am pretty sure I'm not to use dish soap and don't plan on it but what about the jet dry rinse agent? Will hat have any effect?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts

To remove the residue, I'd soak them in a strong[ish], hot (tap water hot) PBW solution (about 1.5-2oz per gallon) overnight. Remove one bottle, rinse in the sink and see how it comes out. I've had excellent results getting all kinds of things off of bottles, stainless, etc. with PBW. Next best thing would be scrubbing with some BKF.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

Agreed. IME, heat + residue = even harder residue. Oxy/PBW will take most label glue right off.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
crosschk
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Really new here what is pbw?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Tacoma, Washington
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

PBW=Powdered Brewery Wash

Old 08-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
crosschk
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

Available from many online HBS' as well as most LHBS'...

One source: Rebel Brewer (1lb container to get you started)... It's really good stuff.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
crosschk
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks again. How about using the dishwasher for the sanitizing? Any issues? What about the jetdry?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschk View Post
Thanks again. How about using the dishwasher for the sanitizing? Any issues? What about the jetdry?
IF you're going to put the bottles in the dishwasher to 'sanitize' then you don't want to use anything else in there (no detergent, no jetdry, etc.). IMO, it's a waste of resources to do so. Make up some StarSan solution, dunk them a few at a time (filling them inside), let sit for a minute or two, then pour out and put onto a sanitized (sprayed with StarSan solution) bottle tree until you're ready to fill them (that day, or within an hour or so).

I wouldn't trust a dishwasher to do a proper job of sanitizing my bottles (for when I bottle). Since I keg, I bottle either from keg, or tap. I sanitize a few bottles, chill them down, then get the carbonated brew into them. When I was bottling, I would do the process as outlined above. Never had an issue. I've had beer in bottles for over a year that are perfectly fine (higher ABV batches).

Fermenting
K1:

Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

Good advice above. With a dishwasher, it's tough to ensure enough water at a high enough temp hits the inside of each bottle. And I don't think it's long enough for dry heat to kill. So it might be inconsistent.

Given how easy StarSan is, that's how most people roll. And if you get a vinator and bottle tree, sanitizing bottles is ridiculously easy.