Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #81
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's a lotta fuggle.

Are you going to smash compare the different malts? Whoa. Good to know.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #82
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, hops from somewhere else, right? Gotcha.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #83
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, hops from elsewhere. I'm still at the stage where I need to get familiar with the brewing techniques/process and messing around with recipes isn't going to be as effective as making a SMaSH with the same hop and malts each time and comparing the results.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #84
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, currently building a magnetic stir plate prototype.
The materials used costs 1391 yen, excluding super glue (which I had to buy, but I think most people should have around the house) and the external power supply (because this one runs via USB power and so you can just plug into a pc for power).

Posting vid here.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=00208.mp4

The problem is that the stirring rod/bar is also a magnet and I'm not sure if its okay to be sticking magnets into what would be going into your mouth.

Also, the whole thing is rather unstable and I need to fine tune magnet positions as well as buy some screws and washers to keep the fan in place. Total budget should come down to around 1600. I also bought steel rods to experiment with, but couldn't get them to spin properly.

EDIT: I got a bottle of the Sankt Gallen brewery's 2012 Barleywine, just released today! ;D 1050 yen, ouch.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #85
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Nice. You just reminded me to make one too. I did from stuff lying around the house (usb fan & daiso magnets and super glue, probably around 1000 yen). I want to have a variable resistor on it though and have nothing I can use at the moment. What kind of stir bar is that? Its moving a bit too fast :-) I have a bunch of tiny powerful nickel plated magnets from Daiso. Maybe if I jammed them in some tubing that would work. I should be able to boil that to sterilize. Nickel plated magnets are OK in my opinion, I don't believe there will be enough dissolved into the starter culture to be a risk.

Baird's Country Girl Kabocha is out today too, Im looking forward to trying it and comparing my own kabocha ale which just finished carbonating in its bottles. I am itching to start another beer but don't have a lot of free time at the moment so my next will be an extract pilsner with some pellet hops added.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #86
yoshiie
Recipes 

I've heard of people making a stir bar out of tubing, but that usually is a last resort. You can buy lab grade ones here for 2-300 yen.
http://www.tech-jam.com/science-equi...ir/index.phtml

This is where I got mine, and you can even boil then in the starter wort to make sure they're sterile. Easily worth it even paying for shipping.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #87
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surume View Post
Ok, currently building a magnetic stir plate prototype.
The materials used costs 1391 yen, excluding super glue (which I had to buy, but I think most people should have around the house) and the external power supply (because this one runs via USB power and so you can just plug into a pc for power).

Posting vid here.

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=00208.mp4

The problem is that the stirring rod/bar is also a magnet and I'm not sure if its okay to be sticking magnets into what would be going into your mouth.

Also, the whole thing is rather unstable and I need to fine tune magnet positions as well as buy some screws and washers to keep the fan in place. Total budget should come down to around 1600. I also bought steel rods to experiment with, but couldn't get them to spin properly.

EDIT: I got a bottle of the Sankt Gallen brewery's 2012 Barleywine, just released today! ;D 1050 yen, ouch.
Wow, great job!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #88
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hmm, looks like I should get a proper stir bar instead

Yeah, I know its spinning too fast, but I can't find a speed controller for the right price at the moment

Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #89
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Thanks yoshiie, I'll get a real one (probably a couple in case I lose one).

Surume my motor goes way too fast right now so I will probably just go to the 100 yen store and look at electronic toys until I find something that has a variable resistor (a volume control on a speaker would probably work). I will let you know if I find something good.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #90
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Brendan.

By the way, I'm going down to Bashamichi Taproom in a few hours to get a pint of the pumpkin ale, if anyone cares to join me