Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #301
tektonjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting79
Hey Tekton

could you please explain this j type regulator in a bit more detail

I have to agree with the over all savings with this malt in bulk , it is a lot more reasonable cost wise, i will be ordering my base from asahi in future thanks so much for the links.

can you order it in english over the phone ?

this is a great resource for the Japanese gaijin amateur brewers

would be good to meet you all at some stage and have a brew day
I'll try to get you a pic later on the regulator. I'm away for a few days.

Orders with Asahi are done by fax. You send in an order form, they send back an estimate. You furikomi the funds, they ship. If you need an order form let me know.

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #302
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I saw several people with those valves embedded in caps for PET bottles at the off-kai last night. I think that is a great intermediate step to full kegging. You can force carb a beer for testing with a CO2 tank easily. I used one of those caps back in Canada and carbed everything from beer to soy milk and curry because why the hell not? I don't know if I have the space for a keg and server yet but I do think I can fit a CO2 tank in the closet now I have an excuse. CO2 is great for purging the O2 from fermenters if you need another excuse.
Cheers!
B

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #303
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyone know how to build one? I am curious to get something for taking to visit friends.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #304
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-431307956.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	112115

Is this 10L keg from the liquor store refillable? I want to get a smaller keg for my beer but have never legged yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3155429080.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	112116

What about this keg? Also how hard is it to use these if they are refillable for homebrew? Do I need special tools? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #305
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpearce

Is this 10L keg from the liquor store refillable? I want to get a smaller keg for my beer but have never legged yet.

What about this keg? Also how hard is it to use these if they are refillable for homebrew? Do I need special tools? Thanks for any help.
Asahi and Suntory use the same system. Kirin is SOL.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #306
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT

Asahi and Suntory use the same system. Kirin is SOL.
But us either refillable for homebrew?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #307
juggabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thought I would post a reply after seeing the title for brewing in Japan. Does anyone have a AG clone for Baird angry boy brown ale? My sushi joint here in ohio has it and its the only place I've seen it.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #308
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Jug, no help from our Kinki group. Sorry.
Mpearce, I use those kegs. You can get a valve remover from this guy:http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~wyi/beer.html Not cheap, though. As he doesn't guarantee you can open any sanke style keg, but no refunds! You can make your own, as I did, if you can solder. I found I could remove the spear from the larger kegs (sapporo), but not the 10s (asahi). But I use them both anyway. Using a keg tap, I rinse, wash with oxyclean, rinse, and starsan( using co2 to move the liquid out each time. I have had no problems. Cornies are hard to get here, and kegs are easy to borrow.

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #309
OppamaBrendan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggabrew View Post
Thought I would post a reply after seeing the title for brewing in Japan. Does anyone have a AG clone for Baird angry boy brown ale? My sushi joint here in ohio has it and its the only place I've seen it.
I don't have a recipe either, but I think you will have some luck straight up asking the fellows at Baird brewing. At least one that I know of started out as a homebrewer and they are supportive (they held a HB appreciation party at one of their taprooms in Feb with a small batch of a Homebrewers' recipe). Here is their brewery blog: http://bairdbeer.com/en/blog_numazu/ and contact page: http://bairdbeer.com/en/contact

mpearce - I have opened 3 types of keg valves - sanke, G, and A systems - all without the proper tools. Sanke is pretty straight forward and there are good youtube tutorials. The other 2 valve types I did in a way that also bent the secondary safety catch that is your backup to prevent the spear from launching out like a rocket. The kegs were still functional and refillable afterwards but lacked that extra safety feature. For safety I am not going to describe it here and can't recommend doing it without the proper tool. The spear can kill someone even if the pressure isn't all that high. My wife's uncle got a face full of stale beer while releasing the pressure because I couldn't explain to him in Japanese fast enough to correct him 2 years ago.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #310
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Will do some more research on it. Hope to have something working by June.