Adding heat to a BIAB mash - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding heat to a BIAB mash

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
ArcLight
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Posts: 1,379
Liked 125 Times on 95 Posts



It is possible to burn/scorch a BIAB bag when adding heat to your mash kettle.

When adding heat (lets say a a few degrees, up to 15 degrees for mash out) how do you prevent your bag from being damaged?

I can think of two methods:

1) raise the bag a little, and stir occasionally

2) use a cake rack or some kind of false bottom to keep the bag off the bottom.
Anything cheaper than this?
http://www.amazon.com/Round-Stainles...&s=home-garden


Any other way to add heat, and protect your bag? I suppose you can try leaving the bag in and stir constantly - since it's just for a short time.

Any other ideas?

Ideally, it would be nice to be able to add heat without having to raise the bag.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
tonyc318
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 608
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts


I put a metal strainer at the bottom and tie it with some fishing line to pull it out before the boil. Works great.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
ArcLight
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Posts: 1,379
Liked 125 Times on 95 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
I put a metal strainer at the bottom and tie it with some fishing line to pull it out before the boil. Works great.
Tony,
Might you have a link to the strainer you used?

Fishing line wont be affected by the heat?
What about a boil?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,367
Liked 1302 Times on 998 Posts


I have not bothered w/ a mash out since reading this...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...ashout-309533/

or possibly good reading here as well...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/pros...68/index2.html

I'm not convinced the mash out is really needed or all that helpful for BIAB...Your mileage and opinions may vary...cheers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
tonyc318
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 608
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight

Tony,
Might you have a link to the strainer you used?

Fishing line wont be affected by the heat?
What about a boil?
Sorry, no link. Just your standard veggie steamer found at a kitchen store. I will try to find one for u a little later.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
evrose
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 840
Liked 304 Times on 160 Posts


I use one of these in my 5 gallon kettle. Works great, and my wife didn't mind me buying it because we use it for food also... http://amzn.com/B000Q4N2LO

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
tonyc318
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 608
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose
I use one of these in my 5 gallon kettle. Works great, and my wife didn't mind me buying it because we use it for food also... http://amzn.com/B000Q4N2LO
That's exactly what I use

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
ArcLight
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Posts: 1,379
Liked 125 Times on 95 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I have not bothered w/ a mash out since reading this...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...ashout-309533/

or possibly good reading here as well...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/pros...68/index2.html

I'm not convinced the mash out is really needed or all that helpful for BIAB...Your mileage and opinions may vary...cheers.

Some interesting stuff here, thank you for the links.

For large grain bills - I think that once I squeeze the bag, if I were to put the bag back into a pot with hot water, let it sit a few minutes, and pull it out, let it drain, and the squeeze, I would get a fair amount of extra sugar in the wort.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,367
Liked 1302 Times on 998 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
For large grain bills - I think that once I squeeze the bag, if I were to put the bag back into a pot with hot water, let it sit a few minutes, and pull it out, let it drain, and the squeeze, I would get a fair amount of extra sugar in the wort.
Yes! With larger bigger beers of higher gravity the runnings absorbed by the grain will also be higher gravity, and a sparge of some sort will likely help.

Back to the original topic of adding heat w/ the bag in the kettle...I have read of people doing it without issue, and aslo people scorching the bag...my guess is that w/ low and gentle heating and occasional stirring there likely would not be an issue...just a guess of course, I've never tried it. I think polyester melts at like 3-400 degrees FWIW???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
ArcLight
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Posts: 1,379
Liked 125 Times on 95 Posts


>.Back to the original topic of adding heat w/ the bag in the kettle...I have read of people doing it without issue, and aslo people scorching the bag...my guess is that w/ low and gentle heating and occasional stirring there likely would not be an issue...just a guess of course, I've never tried it. I think polyester melts at like 3-400 degrees FWIW???

I have this really cool Wilser bag and don't want to risk damaging it!

I wonder if instead of sparging, I try raising the bag, draining, squeezing, then lowering the bag so it reabsorbs wort, then raising, draining, squeezing again.
I might try this and take measurements using a refractometer.
How many additional points does a 2nd drain/squeeze (using wort vs water) give?
I think I will start keeping a log - just out of curiosity.
Probably not worth the effort, but at least I will have measurements to back it up.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIAB: adding grains before heating water? Boek All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 11-09-2013 10:00 PM
Keg mash tun heat loss q? pegelow04 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 01-26-2013 02:44 PM
Mash out with direct heat? player2ma All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 01-20-2012 08:31 PM
Scorched my mash or how to heat your MLT? PKsBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-24-2011 10:23 PM
keeping the heat in the mash tun makapol All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 06-03-2008 09:03 PM


Forum Jump