Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First BJCP competition

Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I find the BJCP judging to be highly subjective. I had a tripel rank a 42 in the Best Florida Beer championship and not make it past the first round, and have that same beer given a 34 in a local club comp and medal silver.
I am studying for the BJCP tasting exam and you are exactly right! There are some absolute faults but many of them are very subjective. I had a Scottish 70 that got the second highest overall score in a local score. It went to the Best of Show round and placed 6th overall. I am starting to get to a place that comps are a great ego boost. Any beer over 35 could be a winning beer...just depends on the comp.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #32
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 588 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I find the BJCP judging to be highly subjective.
I think there is some obvious truth to this - individuals have their own preferences, perspectives and levels of expertise.
But, I have been pretty impressed with the consistency in judging I have gotten from one competition to the next - especially in the bigger comps. If I really want some good feedback on particular beers, I make sure I enter the same beers in 3-5 competions over the course of about 4 weeks or so - In that way I am getting the impressions of 6-10 judges and can sort of drop the high, drop the low and look at what the consistent comments are. I have received some great information by doing this, and am always surprised by how consistent some of the recommendations are.