An Honest Question for You Brewers on here... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > An Honest Question for You Brewers on here...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14


have you ever brewed anything that was, unbiasedly, better than newcastle?

not to insult your brewing skills. just a question out of curiosity, you know...

btw, im not trying to make newcastle the "standard" of all beers...just asking.
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,397
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


While this is a highly subjective question, I find Newcastle to be a 'good' beer at best...kind of a 'gateway' brown ale for beer neophytes to better brown ales. Not that I mind drinking it, however.

At this point I would take anything I brew over a Newcastle. Whether someone else would is up to them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


90% of the people here will tell you that they have made many batches that are better than newcastles. I'm sure they are telling what they believe to be the truth, but come on... we're talking about our own beer, special to us, and we are all a little biased to some extent. (Like with parents, who will ALL insist that THEIR children are the smartest/funniest/cutest/etc kids on the planet.)

That said, newcastles is a 'decent' beer, and I honestly think that EVERYONE here can make beer better than that on a regular basis.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
stat quo
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
New York
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
90% of the people here will tell you that they have made many batches that are better than newcastles. I'm sure they are telling what they believe to be the truth, but come on... we're talking about our own beer, special to us, and we are all a little biased to some extent. (Like with parents, who will ALL insist that THEIR children are the smartest/funniest/cutest/etc kids on the planet.)

That said, newcastles is a 'decent' beer, and I honestly think that EVERYONE here can make beer better than that on a regular basis.

-walker
good point.
__________________
i love beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


it's funny you specifically mentioned newcastles, though.

My most recent batch of brown ale was very disappointing to me; drinkable, but boring. My actual words when I drank my first pint were, "That tastes like Newcastles.... bummer."

Not that I dislike newcastles... I just always expect more from my own craft.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,745
Liked 114 Times on 100 Posts


I'm pretty sure that you'll find you can make brews you like and prefer over others that you purchase and others that miss the mark. Don't base your outcome on something you buy/like and think you'll replicate it. Judge it on its own per style.

Just for me, the Brown Ale is the bugger I can't seem to make to my liking. I've tried kits, AG (multiple recipes), whatever I just can't get something that I'm happy with. My Porter, Belgium Wit, Pale, IPA, Apricot wheat all are great IMO and I'd stack them up against my local brewpubs. This darn brown I'm about to forget about trying to brew and no its not better than a Newcastle which I personally like.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,732
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts


Not to blow my own trumpet (wish I could) or any one elses.

But I reckon anyone on here can brew better Ale than me. I'm still doing extract.
Since brewing my own I really do not like it if I have to go to the pub orbuy shop bought . I have not tasted anything from the pub that matches the stuff I can brew.
Some of the shop bought bottle conditioned stuff is better and I'll still drink it.
I went to a beer festival last week (In a pub) but left after 5 half pints because my stuff at home had more appeal.
__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
I'm pretty sure that you'll find you can make brews you like and prefer over others that you purchase and others that miss the mark. Don't base your outcome on something you buy/like and think you'll replicate it. Judge it on its own per style.

Just for me, the Brown Ale is the bugger I can't seem to make to my liking. I've tried kits, AG (multiple recipes), whatever I just can't get something that I'm happy with. My Porter, Belgium Wit, Pale, IPA, Apricot wheat all are great IMO and I'd stack them up against my local brewpubs. This darn brown I'm about to forget about trying to brew and no its not better than a Newcastle which I personally like.
try this brown, it rocks!

Big Brown Dog Ale
10 lbs. domestic 2-row
0.5 lbs. Special B Malt
0.5 lbs. Medium Crystal Malt
0.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt (Dark Wheat Malt)
1 oz. Cascade @ 70 min
2/3 oz. Willamette @ 20 min
1/3 oz. Willamette @ 0 min
1300 ml starter of WLPOO1 California Ale yeast
og 1.057 IBU's 30.5 SRM 35
mash in @ 153 for 60 minutes, sparge w/ cenough water @ 170 to collect enough wort for 5.5 end boil volume. Boil for 90 min.
primary @ 68 degrees. rack to secondary and crash to 32 degrees for 7 days (if possible). keg or prime w/ 3/4 cups priming sugar and bottle.
you don't have to make a starter but i highly suggest one.
give it a whirl!
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
andre the giant
 
andre the giant's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Southeast Missouri, USA
Posts: 539
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I've never been a huge fan of Newcastles... So its safe to say that I've brewed many batches that I think are better. I can also say that I've never found an Oatmeal stout that I like any better than my own. There are many that are just as good, but not better. Everyone's taste is different, and brewing companies have certain advantages, but we as homebrewers have some as well.
__________________
After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stat quo
have you ever brewed anything that was, unbiasedly, better than newcastle?
I don't know how everyone else feels, but if you couldn't brew it better than the commercial guys (or at least strive for that), then what would be the point of brewing it at all?
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be Honest HenryHill General Beer Discussion 30 05-08-2009 01:50 PM
It wasn't me, honest!!!!! Bernie Brewer Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 5 04-08-2009 10:05 PM
OK be honest about this recipe! JMU_Alumn08 Recipes/Ingredients 9 02-28-2009 01:36 AM


Forum Jump