Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > From homebrewer to probrewer (Long)

Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
gointomexico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am bootstrapping, I think. I have no loans, so I would be bootstrapping, i think? most of my money came from my retirement, my job and an investment from my family, and one investment in the business from my friend. total family investment is less than 10% the other 90% is my own.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How are you controlling fermenting temps? This is way over my head, just curious. or did I miss it?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #33
gointomexico
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think I said prior. I am using ambient temperature control. I have a room in the back of the brewery that I will install a window ac unit in. I currently use it in the garage and it keeps the temp at around 60, the fermenters are from 65-69 which is in the range for the yeast that I am using.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
jhhicks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Congrats! I hope all of your hard work (and hard earned money) will payoff for you! Looks like a huge project/goal!

Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #35
gointomexico
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, im pretty excited to be brewing for a living, cant wait!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #36
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

How do you like using the stainless barrels for fermenters?? I don't think there is any valves on the bottom so do you open the top, stick in your hose and pump the beer into kegs?? How about cleaning your barrels. They must be heavy to move around?? Or can you clean in place?? Good luck with your new adventure.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1168 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

What a fantastic adventure! I can only imagine how busy you must be, but more photos/updates when you have a chance would be appreciated!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #38
gointomexico
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"so do you open the top, stick in your hose and pump the beer into kegs?"

This is exactly what I do. I clean them by lugging them around. I also cut a hole in the top of the barrel that fits a corny keg lid so i can stick a modified brush in there to scrub when needed. They are about 40 lb's empty, which isn't too bad to move around, just a little awkward. When I use the lye solution, i put in 5 gallons and roll it around on the ground, and I plan on sanitizing the same way.

Now that i said, "lye" i just want to mention that I don't use it at home. I prefer oxyclean, soap and water. Lye is a pain to work with, lots of safety gear, and I have to balance the ph before getting rid of it. After using lye, I have to do an acid rinse to put the stainless in an acid state and passivate it. Then I can use more familiar stuff like starsan.

At home, I just use water and elbow grease. If that doesn't work (very rare), I use oxyclean. No gloves, no respirator, no face shield, chemical apron, water proof boots, and no goggles. Well, sometimes goggles.

I love using these because they are economical, and stainless. Much better than the plastic i was using before. A cinch to clean. You can even steam clean them, which is awesome. Any reason i can think of to fire up the burner, ill do it.

" but more photos/updates when you have a chance would be appreciated!"
Yea, I will do that tonight. I have a bunch of photos in my phone, but I think its time for an update. Ill run out there tonight and take some pics. I'll also put up a pic in the DIY how i converted the drums into nicer kettles. I just simply cut the top of my BK, but I think the way I did the HLT and MT is better.

Reason: added stuff about lye.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #39
gointomexico
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did some work, fixed up some fermenters and labeled them today. Was thinking of polishing them after a lye soak to get rid of the root beer smell from them.

Did some grinding on the seam to smooth it out. Two of the fermenters I got had a terrible weld.

Here is the corney lid on the fermenter. I had to grind down the legs some so that it would fit on the top of the barrel.

Here is the wheels i roll the fermenters around on. not too hard. To the left is the wort chiller, and the blue tank is my balance tank for storing lye/acid. Have to make sure the ph is arround 7 before sending down the drain.

Here is the lye (2% sol) doing its job

Lye safety gear

Mill stand and a ladder in the back. I wear gloves too.

Pic of brewstand, cus its not in the prev. pics, forgot to post it.

You can see the 16 inch duct for fresh air intake, and the hood for exhaust, mop sink, and 6' trench drain and a little slope. Ill take another one tomorrow showing all the plumbing for the burners, and the stainless kettles once they are done.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #40
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. Do you ever wish you had the open head drums?? Might help with cleaning?? The wheels are genius. Great idea.