Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tropical storm isaac

Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
DirtyHaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tropical storm isaac

Homebrewer from Tampa FL here. As some may know there is a tropical storm possibly to become a hurricane heading too close for comfort. With the Florida heat I have no choice but to ferment in a fridge with temp controller. If this storm hits i may be without power for a up to a few days and worried about how it will affect my DIPA that's sitting in the secondary.

It's dryhopping right now and FG is only a couple points away. If my power goes out and that carboy gets up to 80-80 degrees for a up to a few days, does anybody think i'll run into problems with off flavors? fermentation is pretty much done but there's a ton of dry hops and probably some yeast settled at the bottom.

I'm trying to decide if i should perhaps buy some kind of plastic tub to place the carboy with some water\ice in case i lose power or if i should just not worry since fermentation isn't active anymore. Homebrewer problems...

Thanks everyone for your help

Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

off flavors are created during the fermentation and cell splitting process which is over in your beer. it should be fine! also - isaac looks like weak sauce. we should get some wind and rain, but not sure about wide spread power outages :P

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I agree that the most of your fermentation is done so the warmer temperature is not a big concern.

Using a swamp cooler is not going to work too well if your power goes out. Your ice will soon run out unless you have a really well insulated freezer.

You could do like a lot of sleezeballs do and buy a generator and if you don't use it return it. If you do use it take it back and say that it didn't work right.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 26

While the direction is still iffy, being from the New Orleans area, I was not planning on brewing during the worst of the season but have 2 batches fermenting now. I have a generator but that has to be used for food in the freezers.
I agree with what the others have said. Just get it as cool as you can now and if the power goes out, it would likely take a full 24 hours or so for the temperatures of the beer raise alot.

I wish this storm would jump over the gulf and get some rain to all those farmers who really need the rain. Let's all wish it that way.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You know your a homebrewer when you hear a hurricane is coming and your first thought is about your fermenting beer.
People Like This 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

brew during the hurricane and film a documentary of it

Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

DirtyHaus,

I'm right down the street in St. Pete. I don't know how long you've been in FL, but the one thing I've learned through about 20 hurricanes and tropical storms is that if the weather guys are saying it's going to hit here, there is no way in h#ll it is going to hit here.

Seriously, though, this one does look like a 24-48 hour rain storm. I would worry more about flooding than anything else.

They always say the way that that Tampa Bay area is nestled into one corner of the gulf, it would be almost impossible to take a direct hit from a hurricane from the gulf side. The ones we need to really worry about are strong storms that come across the state from the Atlantic side.

Best of luck. Let me know if you want to throw a Tampa Bay brewers hurricane party!!

Bring it on, Issac!
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
People Like This 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Topher is right, the first 2 places they mention are safe! But, it doesn't have to be a hurricane to cause problems. Just a slow moving rain storm can wreak havoc, cause tornadoes, flooding etc.
Quote:
You know your a homebrewer when you hear a hurricane is coming and your first thought is about your fermenting beer.
Love it!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Yeah, most off flavors are formed in the first three days of fermenation. OP should be good.

He might have to resort to drinking warm beer if the power goes out. Better fill the freezer with bags of ice, just to be sure.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Just a slow moving rain storm can wreak havoc, cause tornadoes, flooding etc.
LOL...the description above sounds like 3-5 p.m. every single friggin day in July/August here in Tampa Bay!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
People Like This