Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Heady Topper vs. Pliny
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

All reviews aside....HEADY TOPPER!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post

I'm hop-interested rather than hop-obsessed, so I like Pliny's drink-ability better. On whole, I like the 'balance' (I know Pliny is technically unbalanced) between malt and hops better in the Pliny.

Do not get me wrong: Heady Topper is a great beer (the Alchemest works magic up in Waterbury) and I really enjoy one on occasion. I just found the over the top hop flavor a bit too much. If you are the type of hop-head who likes to likes your hops to linger on the tongue for 10 seconds after each sip - HT is the beer for you.

For me it comes down to the ultimate test: Having tried a beer, would I order another. In the case of Pliny, I would order pint after pint until they took my coaster away. With Heady: I would always order one if I saw it on tap, but I would seldom order a second in the same visit.
I'd have to agree with you here. I had a HT for the first time yesterday and it reminded me more of my first Moylan's Hopsickle rather than a Pliny killer. It's a hopbomb for sure, but I couldn't have several like I could the Pliny. it was way heavier on the bittering side, and not as enjoyable as the last Pliny I had. That Pliny was 2 weeks old, and just seems to have more going on than just over the top bitterness. I also had the chance to try a fresh Simtra Triple IPA from Knee Deep out of Lincoln, CA. That beer was unbelievably drinkable for an 11%'er and loaded with hop juice as well. I'd take another one of those over HT/Pliny right now no question. all excellent choices, but I just didn't feel it lived up to the hype.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 for HT over Pliny.

I've never had a chance to do a side by side comparison. I tried them about a year apart. My palate may have changed.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Drinking a Pliny right now. Been about 8 months since I last had one. Seems a lot more dank than I remember. Almost like they've changed the hop bill. I seem to remember it being more citrusy.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
Liked 428 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I love them both for different reasons. Neither is better than the other.

Different interpretations of similiar goals.