FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge! - Page 55 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #541
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Griese will save us!!!!!

:sigh: even I don't believe that. Is it too late to get Thomas Jones back?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #542
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

I need to get out of last place. I'm like the Rex Grossman on this league.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #543
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I need to get out of last place. I'm like the Rex Grossman on this league.
You and me both. 'cept I can throw a spiral.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 AM   #544
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
Probably still just you.

-walker
It's too bad the League destroyed all the Pats' illegal videotapes of last years' game. I'm sure Belichick would have gotten a kick out of deciphering the Bengal's signals for "How the f*ck do we stop these guys?!?"

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #545
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
It's too bad the League destroyed all the Pats' illegal videotapes of last years' game. I'm sure Belichick would have gotten a kick out of deciphering the Bengal's signals for "How the f*ck do we stop these guys?!?"
Man...give it up. You are grasping at straws, trying too hard.

Go reply to my post in the Grossman thread.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #546
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Response?

Let's see Favre do it for more than two weeks. Pack seem to have a relatively easy schdeule this year, so he might end up putting up a good season overall, but let's see what happens when he's facing Chicago, for example. I would *hope* that playing with such an improved defense keeps him from feeling like he has to force as many things, but let's see how he plays when he's down a few points in the fourth quarter before passing judgement that "Favre is Back!"

The argument, too, wasn't that Favre had absolutely nothing left - it was that he wasn't the right QB for the team, itwas going to take a long time for the rest of the team to be rebuilt, by which time Favre would be gone and you'd be trying to plug someone else in. It was time to start seeing if your 1st round pick was a bust, or could play, and if not to try and find another young guy (like a Drew Brees, whom they could have bid on had Favre not wavered on if he was or was not going to retire). Did anyone, even in Green Bay, expect the rest of the Packers team to improve as rapidly as they have?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #547
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

Actually, if your in the NFC, by default the strength of schedule is easier than if in the AFC. It's actually kinda nuts, check it here. The top 14 are all in the AFC. With those cards I wouldn't say having CHI*2, SD and DAL as being easy in retrospect. I'd toss Philly in there as well historically.

Favre has been consistent with his oft times bad decision making; even when he was winning 3 MVP's. Hence the Blanda record. He hasn't changed and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Drive you crazy yea. But in the end I don't care what QB you are if your behind you end up having to take more chances to try and get ahead. A solid all around team always helps a QB.

Bird, have you watched Favre at all this year? Do you think physically he is substandard? Ultimately that's the only true demise of a NFL player who still has the desire and skills...

He has been his own worst enemy with his bantering of retirement that he started talking about what, in probably 2004? Feel free to move this to the Favre love/hate thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #548
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Response?

Let's see Favre do it for more than two weeks. Pack seem to have a relatively easy schdeule this year,
They just beat 3 2006 playoff teams, WTF do you want? Further, they just beat prolly the 3rd best AFC team--the same team that BEAT the almighty, do no wrong Bears in week 1. How is that an easy schedule?

Quote:
but let's see how he plays when he's down a few points in the fourth quarter before passing judgement that "Favre is Back!"
You do realize that they just came from behind with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter to win last week, right?

Quote:
The argument, too, wasn't that Favre had absolutely nothing left - it was that he wasn't the right QB for the team, itwas going to take a long time for the rest of the team to be rebuilt, by which time Favre would be gone and you'd be trying to plug someone else in. It was time to start seeing if your 1st round pick was a bust, or could play, and if not to try and find another young guy (like a Drew Brees, whom they could have bid on had Favre not wavered on if he was or was not going to retire).
I distinctly remember telling you last year (and having copius other knowledgeable Packer fans on here agree) that Rodgers was not the answer. We also told you it didn't matter, because Favre was the better QB, bar none.
If you knew anything about Favre (other than taking blind stabs at something you obviously know nothing about), you'd realize he is playing awesome football. He came into camp in great shape, still has a laser beam arm, and is actually a perfect fit for the system. And I bet he plays 2 more years.

Quote:
Did anyone, even in Green Bay, expect the rest of the Packers team to improve as rapidly as they have?
I did--I picked them as a wild card this year, remember?
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #549
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Philly game, Favre didn't do much. 23-42, no TDs, had a pick. Not the worst game ever, but he didn't win the game for them, the defense did.

Reference to the schedule was in relation to the rest of the season; I'd be shocked for them to not make the playoffs at this point, given how well the D's playing. Weeks 4-17 don't look all that bad, overall - lots of winnable games.

And yeah, Favre's played like a mofo these past two weeks against two good teams (albeit teams that are not exactly clicking on all cylinders). I hope it continues; I'm starting him this weekend instead of Jay Cutler.

But, even when just about EVERYONE (not just me) was calling for him to hang it up, he'd put together a few great games in a row; let's just see it continue for a little while longer. First six games of '05, he had four outstanding games - but rest of the season, threw 21 picks and SIX touchdowns. Not saying there will be a repeat (and I bow to your suprerior knowledge of the Pack), but two games does not define or prove a comeback.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #550
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Philly game, Favre didn't do much. 23-42, no TDs, had a pick. Not the worst game ever, but he didn't win the game for them, the defense did.

Reference to the schedule was in relation to the rest of the season; I'd be shocked for them to not make the playoffs at this point, given how well the D's playing. Weeks 4-17 don't look all that bad, overall - lots of winnable games.

And yeah, Favre's played like a mofo these past two weeks against two good teams (albeit teams that are not exactly clicking on all cylinders). I hope it continues; I'm starting him this weekend instead of Jay Cutler.

But, even when just about EVERYONE (not just me) was calling for him to hang it up, he'd put together a few great games in a row; let's just see it continue for a little while longer. First six games of '05, he had four outstanding games - but rest of the season, threw 21 picks and SIX touchdowns. Not saying there will be a repeat (and I bow to your suprerior knowledge of the Pack), but two games does not define or prove a comeback.
Not the reply I was expecting--if I didn't know better, it seems you are maybe starting to come around!

Welcome to the Darkside, the water feels fine!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Closed Thread