Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ancient beer recipes

Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
BeginnerBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Ancient beer recipes

Has anybody tried to make an ancient style beer? Any recipes worth trying?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This isn't super ancient but it is the best I can do. I know there are other brewer's that have gone this route too.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connec...y-weyermann-g/

It's nothing but 100% oak smoked wheat malt and a tad of hops. I guess they used to make it in Prussia. I know Northern Brewer has the malt otherwise you can oak smoke your own wheat malt. I only made a half batch just because I was curious and it turned out awesomely drinkably this last summer! I upped the ABV a tad to 4% but could still throw them back. Not everyone liked it, my girlfriend said it tasted like beef jerky, but I thought it was an awesomely weird session beer.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Yes, quite a few people have experimented with ancient recipes on here, including the Bappir Bread beer mentioned in the ancient Hymn to Ninkasi the first beer recipe ever mentioned, and the clone of the Dogfish Head Midas Touch brew, from Gilgamesh's tomb....People have also done a beer similar to Bitches Brew with Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine, ancient scottish and norse beers. Medieval beers......Many of us have even done historical American beers such as George Washington's Beer, Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Ale. I've researched and done some work in ressurrecting the lost Kentucky Common ale. I helped a student on here with some ancient African beers. We have had people making the ancient south american beers such as Chicha and Pulgue...

There's a Ton of thread on this forum covering just about anything....Are you looking for something in particular? "Ancient beer recipes" is a pretty broad topic. If you're lookign for something specific I can help you find it. I probably have a link or info....

My Beer history sites thread and links to hundreds of old recipes and discussions, from ancient times to post prohibition.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
BeginnerBill
Recipes 

The Kentucky beer sounds interesting... Being a Kentucky resident myself. Thanks for the links.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
BeginnerBill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew
This isn't super ancient but it is the best I can do. I know there are other brewer's that have gone this route too.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connec...y-weyermann-g/

It's nothing but 100% oak smoked wheat malt and a tad of hops. I guess they used to make it in Prussia. I know Northern Brewer has the malt otherwise you can oak smoke your own wheat malt. I only made a half batch just because I was curious and it turned out awesomely drinkably this last summer! I upped the ABV a tad to 4% but could still throw them back. Not everyone liked it, my girlfriend said it tasted like beef jerky, but I thought it was an awesomely weird session beer.
This looks tasty too. Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
DromJohn
5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I just opened my first Chateau Jiahu on August 18th. It's close to the orginal.
The recipe is in both "Extreme Brewing" by Calagione, and in BYO.
Drinking: Cherry Porter; NB La Petite Orange Blanche; NB The Plinian Legacy; Val-Dieu Triple; Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition Ale; Avery The Czar Imperial Stout; MŁnchen Haken Besonderes Bitter (Redhook ESB II); Terrapin Reunion '10.
Bottled: Bush de NoŽl (Scaldis NoŽl) (first taste 16 November 2015).
Primary: Innis & Gunn Rum Aged
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

I did an all extract version of the 1890's #3 Burton ale that's def in the strong ale category. Nordeastbrewer77 did an AG version of it. My recipe is in the recipe forum. It's a rusty dark amber brew at 6.8% that turns out pretty good. I came up with a version of Midas' brew I have yet to make. But I'm pretty sure there's a recipe in the recipe forum for that too. I'm having trouble finding some dried sweet corn to brew Tizwin(pronounced Tizween),a corn beer from my native ancestors that was said to resemble English ale. It's a bit harsh though,just for getting buzzed. Referrences can be found in old writings on wikipedia.
There are a few different versions from northwern south america to central America for it. Even one from northern mexico with blue agave in it.
But revvy has a lot of links to peruse...

Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you want an authentic ancient beer recipe, try this:

1) Throw a bunch of slightly cracked grain into a watertight container
2) Put your container out in the rain
3) Let your container of rainwater and grain sit outside for about a week
4) Filter the liquid out of the grain
5) Drink, or at least try to...

This is basically how beer was brewed for most of recorded history!
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
If you want an authentic ancient beer recipe, try this:

1) Throw a bunch of slightly cracked grain into a watertight container
2) Put your container out in the rain
3) Let your container of rainwater and grain sit outside for about a week
4) Filter the liquid out of the grain
5) Drink, or at least try to...

This is basically how beer was brewed for most of recorded history!
Lol, really old beer must have sucked! Can you imagine how hungry those first hunter gatherers must have been in order to drink what had been their grain storage after returning from an unsuccessful hung only to find it had gotten rained on and started bubbling mysteriously. Drinking on an empty stomach. At least this is the way I envision it happening.