New Fermentation Chamber - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New Fermentation Chamber

Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

More photos and description here http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...tation-chamber

Bought the freezer on craigslist, funny ad - "Small five cubic foot freezer, $50. He used it to store his meat. He's gone, I want this gone too" or something like that. I half-expected to find him chopped up into little pieces in the freezer . . .

Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
deepcdan99
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ludlow, Ma
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Ha ha, good find!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

And I used a Midwest Supplies gift certificate I won in a raffle to buy the controller!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
scubastan
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you insulate the probe with foam and put it next to the side of the fermentor you will get a more accurate gauge of the temperature.
An alternative is to wrap the probe in a ballon or latex glove, seal it, and then place the probe into a pint or quart of water.

This will keep your freezer from turning on and off frequently.

My setup turns on for about 10 minutes every 2-2.5 hours.

If your using the 2nd method, during the initial and very active fermentation stage u will need to cheat the system a little because the prob is reading the water in the container and not the actual temp of the fermenter.

I use the second method because my probe isn't long enough to reach the fermentor. So if my target temp is 68F I set my controller to turn on > 65F. The water temp in mason jar I use will read 65 and the fermentor with the active fermentation will read my target temp of 68F. After 3-4 days I will change the controller to the set mark of 68F.
Different brews with higher / lower gravities and different yeast will have different scales, so you can adjust accordingly. But if i'm within +- 3F i'm a happy camper.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastan View Post
If you insulate the probe with foam and put it next to the side of the fermentor you will get a more accurate gauge of the temperature.
An alternative is to wrap the probe in a ballon or latex glove, seal it, and then place the probe into a pint or quart of water.

This will keep your freezer from turning on and off frequently.

My setup turns on for about 10 minutes every 2-2.5 hours.

If your using the 2nd method, during the initial and very active fermentation stage u will need to cheat the system a little because the prob is reading the water in the container and not the actual temp of the fermenter.

I use the second method because my probe isn't long enough to reach the fermentor. So if my target temp is 68F I set my controller to turn on > 65F. The water temp in mason jar I use will read 65 and the fermentor with the active fermentation will read my target temp of 68F. After 3-4 days I will change the controller to the set mark of 68F.
Different brews with higher / lower gravities and different yeast will have different scales, so you can adjust accordingly. But if i'm within +- 3F i'm a happy camper.
Thanks, the controller has a setting to keep it from constantly cycling on and off, and the temp differential seems to be 60-63F. I was thinking about getting a thermowell (is that the right word?) but taping directly to the side of the fermenter sounds good too.