Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
mtyquinn
Brewer / Designer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Looking for a Lager/Ale Wort.

I'm planning on brewing with my father who does not have the ability to brew lagers. We wanted to brew up ten gallons and split the batch. I have a big slurry of Wyeast Oktoberfest lager yeast that I want to use up, but he will be using a to-be-determined ale yeast. Any suggestions as to what style to brew? Recipe suggestions?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You can make an Octoberfest/Marzen style beer and ferment it with lager or ale yeast. Both will end up with the same basic hops/malt characteristics, just the one that is properly lagered will end up crisper and cleaner. The one brewed with ale yeast and fermented at ale temps will be very similar, just lacking that lagered characteristic.

Easy enough!
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!