Advice for filthy kegs - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Advice for filthy kegs

Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts

You should probably take it apart as well. Put all the small pieces in a pint glass (or something) with hot water and pbw. Place the dip tube in the keg filled with hot water and PBW.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

@ mtyquinn I can understand the logic with a carboy - avoiding temp changes, etc.

My logic with corny kegs is - Stainless Steel - hotter = better. I did not think about the solubility of Oxygen though... curious point... hm... We need us a Scientist!

+1 to taking it apart. I rebuild my kegs almost each & every use. (Only *sometimes* do I skip it - for example, if I cold crash a beer in a freshly rebuilt keg, for only 5-6 days, then I immediately clean it with Oxy and refill it with StarSan - then I will reuse it one more time before I rebuild it.)

I go through a lot of O-Rings - but when you buy them in 200pks from McMaster - you stop caring about wasting a $0.02 O-Ring in exchange for the promise of a cleaner keg. Plus - I add Keg Lube to every single O-Ring and poppet, every single time. I do not like hissing posts or leaky kegs. Not in this house, nossir.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Dec 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

PBW really is the best cleaner for dirty kegs. Cascade also does a great job.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Jan 2008
Liked 7526 Times on 6161 Posts

Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Cascade also does a great job.
You aren't supposed to use those until after the keg is clean.

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
May 2011
Tacoma, Washington
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Oxyclean and hot water inside, Bar Keepers friend on the outside. They will be clean and purty in no time.
The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Dec 2009
Middle of the Mitten, Michigan
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts

I've found that just flushing the dip tube with co2 and oxy solution is inadequate. I was amazed at the gunk I got when running a diptube brush through tubes I thought should be clean.
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol.
Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life.
I have 8 carboys, 8 cornies, 5-1 gal jugs, 200 wine bottles, 10 cases of beer bottles and a nice assortment of flip tops....My goal is to keep them at least 50% occupied