Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin porter recipe... need some help

Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
MicahB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pumpkin porter recipe... need some help

Hey all, August is drawing to a close which means fall will be coming shortly and I'm looking to start doing some brews for the coming cool weather. The big one I'm looking at doing is a pumpkin porter similar to the recipe in Extreme Brewing but I'd like to do it with canned pumpkin only. I've searched the forum over but can't find a good explanation on when to add the pumpkin either at the end of the boil or mash it? I'd like to do a really straight-forward recipe with extract, canned pumpkin and spices. Any recipes or insights?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
libeerty
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

This article may help you. Folks have been successful using both approaches. Just remember that most of the flavors associated with commercial pumpkin ales comes from the spices:

http://byo.com/stories/article/indic...-from-the-pros

Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
MicahB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Cool, that link is awesome thanks for sharing! I think I will stick with the extreme brewing recipe and see how it turns out. I'm just always so damn antsy to add something to a recipe or try something new that I never can leave the original recipe well enough alone!