Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Split mash and combine for boil?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
lwcm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Split mash and combine for boil?

Here's a thought for the hive mind to dissect:

Mashes at higher temps yield a thinner bodied but more fermentable wort (forgive me if I get these backwards) while mashes at lower temps yield a more full bodied but less fermentable wort. Would splitting the mash into two halves yield the best of both worlds? I ask because I have two burners on my stove capable of boiling 3 gallons and two 4 gallon kettles . Was pondering a split AG recipe to combine later. Ideally I could mash in the two kettles and boil in a third larger kettle but....that larger kettle has yet to make it home to my equipment stash .

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

It is the other way around, but as to your question, I don't see how it would accomplish anything that mashing at a middle temperature wouldn't accomplish. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I don't think it would be worth it.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter