No.. More... Hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am ready to punch two or three of my beer-nerd friends in the babymakers because these folks are JUST NOW mentioning to me something they've been doing for years...

Simply taking a B Complex vitamin before bed with a glass of water.

I'm tellin' you... it freakin' works. I was insanely skeptical, and everyone I've told since has been also. But, I swear, anyone who's tried it is an instant believer.

The rule is...
If you're having a couple drinks, before you go to bed you take one basic B Complex vitamin with a full glass of water. If you are having a PILE of drinks (like.. hanging out in Vegas pile of drinks), you take one B Complex before your first drink and then one before bed with a glass of water.

I said I was going to groin-punch some folks because apparently a few folks in my HBC have bene doing it for years. I actually got, "Oh yeah, I haven't had a hangover in about ten years now" the other day. I almost slapped them for not sharing this peice of info with me a long freakin' time ago.

i have tried it a number of times and haven't had a single hangover since. You might still be a bit tired if you're out all night but no hangover (sick stomach and pounding head).

B Complex is at any basic pharmacy and should run about $10 for a bottle of 100 tablets.

I do the same with plain old B12. Not sure if it works as well as B complex, but I've never had a real hangover after taking one before bed.

Guess what else is chock-full of B-Complex vitamins...yeast. That which makes the poison is also the cure, awesome.

Pour the bottle then swig the dregs. No problem.

Guess what else is chock-full of B-Complex vitamins...yeast. That which makes the poison is also the cure, awesome.

Pour the bottle then swig the dregs. No problem.

I've heard that as well... problem is I don't bottle any beers. I keg everything. Plus, if you're out, you're not going to get dregs out of commercial beers.

I usually drink water after 2-3 beers and then when finished with the beers, more water. That works for me without vitamin B. However, I take a multi vitamin everyday so maybe that helps too.

Pedialyte. tried and true. Before camping trips with my buddies, we each picked on up at the drug store pedialyte and a gallon of water. Last hour you're awake before crashing, drink as much water as you can take and about 16 ouncs of pedialyte.

That much electrolytes gives you some weird urine colors the day before and some odd shivers but...no hangover.

Wonder how much is the B-vitamin and how much is the hydration. There's a very strong correlation with me between how much H2O I drink over the course of the night and how hung over I am the next day (ideal ratio is about 1:1, if I can drink almost as much water as I do beer, I can get significantly :drunk: and not be hurting at all in the morning.

Wonder how much is the B-vitamin and how much is the hydration. There's a very strong correlation with me between how much H2O I drink over the course of the night and how hung over I am the next day (ideal ratio is about 1:1, if I can drink almost as much water as I do beer, I can get significantly :drunk: and not be hurting at all in the morning.

We do some big tastings at my place. We did this + 5 more between 4 of us - http://adam-jackson.net/beer/review-more-delicious-hill-farmstead-beers/.

I notice the same thing. MOst of us have the rule that if we're drinking a 25CL pour, you drink 25CL of water once the beer is empty. Even if you chug, then you're fine.

The camping analogy I gave is because, in a big group and out in the woods, I forget to drink water and just keep opening beers and then the next day is Hell.

I think water helps a ton in general but that's not what I'm really talking about since I don't drink water when I am having a few beers. I'll have maybe half a bottled water before I hit the sack with one B Complex... and that works.

So... I don't think it is a hydration thing, at least in the times I've tried it.

I've also had a couple of other people try it and, like I was saying before, they now swear by it.... and I don't tell them to drink any more water than they normally would.

I've always been in the "water is key" camp. But lately the amount of water I end up drinking just makes me too full to enjoy more beer. Not that I drink to get drunk, but I just get a little buzzed at the rate of 1:1 beer water ratio. And at the end of the night I am drinking a beer that is just not enjoyable due to my stomach being full.

I'll try the b complex thing and report results.

I'll try the b complex thing and report results.

Cool... Let me know how it works. I haven't had a single person not come back totally convinced.

And yeah, I'm kinda all set with Pedialyte. If that works for folks, absolutely, stick with it and I'm not bad-mouthing it... But... (there's always a "but"), I think it tastes like sht and it's a a bit more expensive, to say the least. I can but 100 tablets of B Complex for $10. That's 100 hangovers killed. I would imagine 100 bottles of Pedialyte would be a bit more than $10. Plus like I was saying, I hate the taste of that stuff. Popping a. Itamin is like popping a quick aspirin before bed. I can put two in my pocket wherever I am going and don't have to keep buying and carrying around baby food. Ehhh. Ok, maybe I did bad mouth it a little.

Ha yeah the cost is higher. I don't mind the taste. Apparently the make powdered form now which is more portable.

I'll still just pop a pill smaller than a dime in my pocket for later.

I'm a convert, just preaching, hoping to bring more people into the light!

LOL!

Rockstar energy drink keeps me from getting hangovers. I drink a can of it throughout the night while I'm drinking beers. If I don't drink it I can guarantee a hangover headache the next morning if I over imbibe. I've always suspected that it was the b vitamins in it that does it though, so maybe I'll try the b complex route.

I swear by the stuff and I think the worst folks have to lose is the effort of grabbing a bottle next time they are in a grocery store or pharmacy... That and about $10

Or $14 for 360!!! Whoo-hooo!! No hangovers for five days shy of a full year for $14. That's a bah-gin!!

Vitamin B6 in particular (pyridoxine) has been studied and shown to mitigate hangover symptoms. But it must be taken in quantities several hundred times the recommended daily dose (although it is generally accepted that the recommended daily dose is woefully inadequate...somewhere around 80mg per day).

B6 stand alone is cheap and is sold in 200mg tablets. I take six tablets a day (3, 2-tablet doses) as part of my daily regimen.

Hydration is the primary mitigant against hangovers. Ethenol is a powerful dehydration agent. (How does Mom get water out of your ears??? Pour in a few drops of alcohol.) That sharp pain in the back of your skull during a severe hangover, is simply your brain bouncing around a dry cranium. That fluid (the same fluid that supports your spinal column) is what suspends your brain and keeps it from slamming against your skull.

Rockstar energy drink keeps me from getting hangovers. I drink a can of it throughout the night while I'm drinking beers. If I don't drink it I can guarantee a hangover headache the next morning if I over imbibe. I've always suspected that it was the b vitamins in it that does it though, so maybe I'll try the b complex route.

Those things scare the hell out of me; Beer Sh!ts are bad enough, start mixing in energy drinks and I'm afraid of blowing the ****ing toilet up.

Having SWMBO pick me up a bottle of B complex today while she's out.

will report back. If this works, so help me, I will cry a tear of joy. I've never been able to find anything to rid/prevent hangovers, and I get them sooooo bad.

Put it this way: I dont even remember the last time I was "drunk"-- If I can say "I've got a buzz," I have to stop drinking right then......

and will still have nausea/headache/vomiting/beersh!ts the next day.

Test it and let me know.

I don't ever take a ton of it. One simple 100mg tablet before bed if I have had a few beers but one 100mg tablet before drinking a ton and then 1 before bed. That's all... 200mg at the most is all I've ever needed. Water... Half a glass although I don't think some extra water would hurt at all.

But yeah, trust me.... I have been shedding tears of joy and telling everyone I know.

Wow, after reading this thread, I feel fortunate. I think I've only had 2 hangovers ever.

99.99% of the time I wake up after 5-6hours of sleep and feel great.

Those things scare the hell out of me; Beer Sh!ts are bad enough, start mixing in energy drinks and I'm afraid of blowing the ****ing toilet up.

I used to pull a swing shift all nighter every few weeks. On one such occasion, I hadn't gotten much sleep before. So, I drank 6 or 7 Red Bull tall boys during the shift. My penis was vibrating. My finger tips felt both numb and hyper sensitive at the same time, and I have no idea what my toes felt like.

I forgot to buy some tonight....looks like I can't test it out now. The real question is, If this doesn't work for me, will you admit the giants are better? Is that the amount of confidence you have in this?

I've taken some 5-hour energy to offset the sleepy feeling from drinking too many beers and I've noticed my hangover is much less in the morning. 5-Hour Energy is packed with B vitamins. I think it has 8000% RDA of B12.

And I like it because even though it can help me not feel sleepy, it doesn't seem to cause a problem with actually sleeping!

I forgot to buy some tonight....looks like I can't test it out now. The real question is, If this doesn't work for me, will you admit the giants are better? Is that the amount of confidence you have in this?

Absolutely!! I am MORE than happy to admit that if it doesn't work. Hell, I'll admit it now. The San Fran Giants are WAY better than the Red Sox

Cape Brewing said:
Absolutely!! I am MORE than happy to admit that if it doesn't work. Hell, I'll admit it now. The San Fran Giants are WAY better than the Red Sox

Haha, I was speaking of the other giants. This isn't the football trash talk thread so ill not get too far into it.

I'm going to try this very soon, but let me just say in advance that I love you.

Hey cape, I went to walgreens...there are several versions of b complex. Super b complex, high potency b complex, and normal b complex. I am not sure it really matters, but which did you get? I picked up the 5.99 bottle of 100 "high potency" b complex. I figure I can just take more than one if I need to anyway.

I am ready to punch two or three of my beer-nerd friends in the babymakers because these folks are JUST NOW mentioning to me something they've been doing for years...

Simply taking a B Complex vitamin before bed with a glass of water.

I'm tellin' you... it freakin' works. I was insanely skeptical, and everyone I've told since has been also. But, I swear, anyone who's tried it is an instant believer.

The rule is...
If you're having a couple drinks, before you go to bed you take one basic B Complex vitamin with a full glass of water. If you are having a PILE of drinks (like.. hanging out in Vegas pile of drinks), you take one B Complex before your first drink and then one before bed with a glass of water.

I said I was going to groin-punch some folks because apparently a few folks in my HBC have bene doing it for years. I actually got, "Oh yeah, I haven't had a hangover in about ten years now" the other day. I almost slapped them for not sharing this peice of info with me a long freakin' time ago.

i have tried it a number of times and haven't had a single hangover since. You might still be a bit tired if you're out all night but no hangover (sick stomach and pounding head).

B Complex is at any basic pharmacy and should run about $10 for a bottle of 100 tablets.

****ing newb. I've been doing this since I was 19. :D

In college I'd always drink a whole lot of water before bed and I never had (have) hangovers. Plus it makes you wake up early! :p

Hey cape, I went to walgreens...there are several versions of b complex. Super b complex, high potency b complex, and normal b complex. I am not sure it really matters, but which did you get? I picked up the 5.99 bottle of 100 "high potency" b complex. I figure I can just take more than one if I need to anyway.

I don't think it matters... I think you'll be fine with that. Then again, I'm not a doctor so... maybe it'll give you tumors.. I dunno.
:tank:

That hurts, man. That hurts.

Seriously, when I saw this thread I thought it must be another necro-bump and that you first posted this many years ago. :p

No... I am just freakin' learning about this...

And that's kind of the funny part about it. A ton of people have never heard of it (hence my posting it) but then a small group of folks I've talked to have basically said what you did... "Huh? You mean you don't do it?? I've been doing that for years. Yeah, works like a charm."

I had no idea.

Latest posts

Back