Anybody use Skype? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anybody use Skype?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 164 Times on 126 Posts

I'm going to Germany next month and since I can't use my Galaxy S3, I'd like to try Skype. I really don't want to rent a Verizon phone like I did last time. I'm trying to keep away from fees and charges if I can. Anybody use it?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Nateo

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

FWIW there are a bunch of open-source alternatives to Skype. Skype won't release how they encrypt calls, and they won't say if/when they allow surveillance of your calls by authorities. If those aren't concerns for you, Skype is fine.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I've used free Skype off and on since 2005 and still use it. Got the app for my Android and you can talk anywhere there's wifi. If you feel like going pay you can get Skype out to call phones. I'm no security expert and haven't heard anything on the subject since 2007 but it seems secure enough. Don't do anything to warrant arrest or surveillance and don't talk about it over IP or land line phones.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
Pilgarlic

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
Liked 138 Times on 109 Posts

I use it at least weekly to videoconference with my son on the other side of the continent. We like it. It does what we want it to do.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
onthekeg
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I've used free Skype off and on since 2005 and still use it. Got the app for my Android and you can talk anywhere there's wifi. If you feel like going pay you can get Skype out to call phones. I'm no security expert and haven't heard anything on the subject since 2007 but it seems secure enough. Don't do anything to warrant arrest or surveillance and don't talk about it over IP or land line phones.
If no one monitors it, I am sure no one will find a reason to arrest or question. I am pretty sure it is monitored. Don't say certain words and you will be fine.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
IXVolt

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southern Oregon
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts

I use it on my S2 now and then. Works fine. Uses quite a bit of batteries, but my S2 seems to suck down the juice anyway to Sunday. If you have long conversations it might be a good idea to bring along your charger.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
tchamber
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Winchester, Virginia
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
If no one monitors it, I am sure no one will find a reason to arrest or question. I am pretty sure it is monitored. Don't say certain words and you will be fine.
I'm not paranoid, so it isn't an issue for me.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 164 Times on 126 Posts

Can I also text with Skype?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
MZRIS
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I reccomend getting a google voice number, its awesome. you can text etc right from the web browser. www.google.com/voice - you get a telephone number people can call and leave messages. A lot of features like call forwarding are free and voice mail to text transcription. check it out!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
MZRIS
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i have actually completly switched over to google voice, i dont give any one my real cell number any more. the advantages of google voice are huge!