Cider from store bought apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldertons2

Reaction score
V tried this before but got the quantities wrong. I have apple juice 3l, baking yeast (couldn't find champagne yeast that I used last time) pectolaze and yeast nutrient. N e pointers for quantities etc as like I said last time I put double the amount of everything but juice, opened my glass jug (can't remember specific name right now but the ones with the metal pop seals) and half of it exploded everywhere like a fountain!! Strange thing is what was left (about a ltr) was about 5 or 6% overnight!! I'm going to follow the recipe properly this time but I must admit it was usefull coz I'd drink some, top it back up with juice then the next day have another batch. Did it about 4 times and it was very nice but the cleaning wasn't!! Is there much difference between bakers yeast n champagne yeast? Jack

I used bakers yeast for my 1st batch, because I didnt have any real yeast. It still came out pretty decent. Only really clear differences I noticed between bread yeast and nottingham was, the bread yeast fermented a lot faster with more bubbles. Also the bread yeast took a lot longer to clear out, and even when cleared had a slight, but distinctive yeasty taste. I dont think I'll be going back to bread yeast any time soon though.

Yeah. It was literally the price that grabbed me. I'm gna try some with the yeast they use in the rebellion brewery that I live right next to.

Back