Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #51
JoeCap09
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 52
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Brewed your updated recipe last saturday. Came up a little lower on the OG. Kegging next week. Can't wait to try.


JoeCap09 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #52
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeardedMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North NJ
Posts: 137
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

So if I wanted to do this with a 5 gallon boil instead of 6.5, would I have to change the amount of hops used? Also would I need to change the amounts of malt extract?

Where do you guys get that much malt extract without breaking the bank? On NB I only see the Alexander's Pale Malt extract and it is $16 for 4 lbs!


BeardedMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #53
remman4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 250
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

My LHBS has LME for $2.80/lb and it is fresh!


I wouldn't adjust anything for your batch and see how it comes out, then adjust next time based on your thoughts from this batch
remman4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #54
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeardedMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North NJ
Posts: 137
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Ok some more noob questions:

Could I use 6.6 pounds of LME and use DME for the rest? Is the ratio the same or would I use less DME since it has no water in it?

Could I use all DME without noticing a difference?

How much priming sugar are you guys using?

The grains listed in the recipe are steeped before the "boil" starts, correct?

Should I remove the cinnamon and ginger before I put the wort into the primary or leave them in?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this correctly!
BeardedMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 751
Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenix View Post
Ok some more noob questions:

Could I use 6.6 pounds of LME and use DME for the rest? Is the ratio the same or would I use less DME since it has no water in it?

Could I use all DME without noticing a difference?

How much priming sugar are you guys using?

The grains listed in the recipe are steeped before the "boil" starts, correct?

Should I remove the cinnamon and ginger before I put the wort into the primary or leave them in?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this correctly!
You could do part LME and part DME and you could use all DME but it won't be the same amount as the LME. Here is a formula on how to convert a recipe that uses LME to DME and vice versa:

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

If you're doing part DME, I would take the 2.4 lbs of LME you would be subbing for and multiply that by 0.89 to get the amount of DME to add.

I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water and seem to have much better results with carbonation.

The grains are definitely only steeped. You want the water temp you are steeping at to be around 150-160 F and the grains are usually steeped for around 20-30 minutes. You do not want to let your water temp get over 170 or you can release tanins into your wort so do not boil your grains.

As for the spices, I would suggest removing the cinnamon and ginger at the end of the boil but this is a matter of personal preference. I would think you would get overwhelming flavors by leaving them in the primary (especially from the ginger) so I would recommend taking them out before racking your wort to primary.

Hope this helps and good luck in your brewing!
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #56
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeardedMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North NJ
Posts: 137
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan

You could do part LME and part DME and you could use all DME but it won't be the same amount as the LME. Here is a formula on how to convert a recipe that uses LME to DME and vice versa:

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

If you're doing part DME, I would take the 2.4 lbs of LME you would be subbing for and multiply that by 0.89 to get the amount of DME to add.

I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water and seem to have much better results with carbonation.

The grains are definitely only steeped. You want the water temp you are steeping at to be around 150-160 F and the grains are usually steeped for around 20-30 minutes. You do not want to let your water temp get over 170 or you can release tanins into your wort so do not boil your grains.

As for the spices, I would suggest removing the cinnamon and ginger at the end of the boil but this is a matter of personal preference. I would think you would get overwhelming flavors by leaving them in the primary (especially from the ginger) so I would recommend taking them out before racking your wort to primary.

Hope this helps and good luck in your brewing!
Thanks man! That was extremely helpful. Can't wait to brew this one.
BeardedMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #57
drunken_beard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Likes Given: 5

Default

I'm making this recipe tomorrow, thanks for sharing! How much priming sugar should I use when it comes time to bottle?
drunken_beard is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 751
Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken_beard View Post
I'm making this recipe tomorrow, thanks for sharing! How much priming sugar should I use when it comes time to bottle?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water (70 degrees or so) and seem to have much better results with carbonation.
MMJfan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #59
drunken_beard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Likes Given: 5

Default

Thanks! Apparently I missed that in the previous few posts. Doh! Anyway, I made a batch of this 2 days ago and so far it's perfect. You're right about the smell. If it tastes half as good as it smells I'll be one happy hombrewer.
drunken_beard is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #60
dhathazy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Moon Township, PA
Posts: 84
Default

There are also calculators out there where you enter the style of beer, size of batch, etc and it gives you a recommended amount of different types of sugar. I have used this on my past couple of batches and have liked the results. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html.

My Christmas Ale is now two weeks in the primary. I think I'm going leave in one more week and then bottle. Can't wait to try this stuff! Going for a tapping of Pumking tonight at a local pub!


dhathazy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks Great, Smells Great, Tastes....... MisterGreen Extract Brewing 13 06-10-2011 06:09 PM
Christmas Ale TOO much spice... help? JoeIsbell Extract Brewing 14 12-03-2009 04:04 AM
Christmas Ale hoss75 Extract Brewing 5 08-22-2008 05:16 PM
Too Late for Christmas? Lepoc2635 Extract Brewing 6 08-13-2008 06:04 PM
Christmas Ale Spoonta Extract Brewing 8 01-30-2006 11:50 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS