Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Re surfacing a cast iron skillet

Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
rs3902
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Re surfacing a cast iron skillet

Not really beer related, but I feel like this crowd could help me out (or point me in the direction of the appropriate forum to post it).
I was at this great junk store this weekend and i got a 5 gallon glass carboy great condition for $3!!! I also picked up an old cast iron skillet for $1. Its all caked up with rock hard black crust and some rust, but there's a few spots where it's chipped off and the iron looks great. I've read a few places that putting it in an oven clean cycle will burn off that buildup, but my oven doesn't have a clean cycle. Id also like to avoid using any harsh chemicals like oven cleaner.
Anyone have experience restoring a cast iron skillet like this?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Well you really want the layers of black build up on the pan, it's called seasoning and it's how a cast iron pan becomes non stick.

The trick is getting rid of the rust, and re-seasoning.

This is a good primer on it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
deadfall
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 296

I usually throw my skillet in a camp fire for a while. I imagine you could put it in a grill of some sort and get okay results. A wood stove would be another option. I have also sand blasted one in the past and that worked pretty good.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
rs3902
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks revvy, but this build up is serious, and on all surfaces. I really want to strip it all down and start seasoning the pan fresh. I'll try that oil and salt method though, thanks.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3902 View Post
Thanks revvy, but this build up is serious, and on all surfaces. I really want to strip it all down and start seasoning the pan fresh. I'll try that oil and salt method though, thanks.
I think it says at the bottom of the article to use a drill mounted wire brush in that case to strip it all and start fresh. It's a pain.....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3902 View Post
Cast iron must be seasoned for proper cooking, but I would never trust the seasoning from a pan found at a thrift shop. What if they seasoned it with precursors to methamphetamine or giraffe dung? You never know.

Something that you may want to try first is to boil water in the pan for an extended time. If you do it inside, hit the hood fan. But a decent boiling might rehydrate all that gunk to the point where it dissolves off or you can scrape it off a little easier. You could add a percentage of white vinegar to speed things up too.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Stirs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Check this out.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-care.shtml

Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Keep in mind, I have used a cast iron pan to melt lead. Strip that pan down and re-seasion.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3656 Times on 2487 Posts
Likes Given: 2473

I have access to a DIY sandblast shop (I also have 2 sandblasters at home, but that is less important for the point of my story). Maybe you could see if you have one within driving distance?

I'd give it a nice blasted surface and then start the seasoning process from scratch again.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Here is a great resource with lots of info: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...son-cast-iron/

One other method is to use electrolysis. Look at the simple setup. http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php