What to do with fresh hops? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do with fresh hops?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
thisgoestoeleven
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Fair Haven, VT
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I conduct a community band, and one of the musicians knows I brew and mentioned that she has a whole bunch of hops growing on her property. She offered to let me come over and pick as many as I can bring home with me, and I'm naturally really excited for fresh hops. My question is what do I do with them once I get them? Should I dry them out? If so, how do I do that? What kind of shelf life do the fresh hops have, where if I brewed in the next week or so they'd still be good? I've never used fresh hops before, and I'd love any input you guys might have.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Hi Eleven. Great offer on the hops, congrats! You can either use the hops fresh (called wet hopping) or dry, package and freeze them. There 's a whole section here on HBT about growing hops, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/ take a look and you'll find tons of info.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Freerent
Recipes 

May 2011
Central coast, CA

So i would wet hop your beers in secondary Furthermore you should pick some to share w/ your home brewing community. What would you charge for a couple of large zip lock bags to California.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Mongrel
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Sisters, Oregon
Liked 238 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestoeleven View Post
I conduct a community band, and one of the musicians knows I brew and mentioned that she has a whole bunch of hops growing on her property. She offered to let me come over and pick as many as I can bring home with me, and I'm naturally really excited for fresh hops. My question is what do I do with them once I get them? Should I dry them out? If so, how do I do that? What kind of shelf life do the fresh hops have, where if I brewed in the next week or so they'd still be good? I've never used fresh hops before, and I'd love any input you guys might have.
Brew as soon as you pick them. You don't want to let them sit.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2396 Times on 1328 Posts

You might want to find out exactly which cultivar(s) those hops are; also,they might be ornamental hops, which are (far as I know) useless to brewers. Not trying to rain on your parade, just sayin'.
Regards, GF.