Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Corking Belgian Bottles
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Corking Belgian Bottles

Hi all,
I recently decided to buy a cheap hand corker and corks to bottle in cleaned DuPont and Hennepin bottles. I quickly learned the hand corker was a bad idea and too cheap to get the job done. Here are my questions:

-Any recommendations on floor corkers? Do I need specific ones for belgian corks/bottles?

-Also what size cork should I be using with Belgian bottles? (these are what I got Will these work with all floor corkers? Will they mushroom in shape like the commercial bottle corks?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Those corks should be good. They will mushroom...all corks that look mushroomed were original straight-sided.

I've never used a floor corker to cork belgians, so I can't really comment. If it were me, I'd probably pick up the much cheaper Portuguese Floor Corker ($60 usually I think) than the Italian Floor Corker. I have the Colonna Capper/Corker and can't really recommend it. The capping bell dents all the crowns (so I won't use it as a capper) and the corking is pretty annoying (the bottle jams and you really have to wiggle it to get it out...or insert a second cork to pop the bottle off).