Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > questions about keggle build

Old 08-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default questions about keggle build

I am currently building a three tier brew stand along with three polished keggles. I am about to purchase the parts for the keggles and would like to know what opinions you all have.

bargain fittings has 2.5" thermowells and 4" thermowells... I assume that 4" would probably be better but might get in the way more. Does anyone have any input on this? Is there a better place to buy keggle parts?

Also, I am using 3-piece SS ball valves on each keggle. Other than a dip tube for the HLT and BK, I plan to purchase a false bottom for the MT. Is there anything else that you guys would suggest or does it seem like I have everything going in the right direction?

Thanks for your time and any suggestions. I plan to order the parts today and just wanted a little affirmation.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
ProzHack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I just put together one and used a sightglass for my HLT since that was high up and I didn't have a ladder tall enough. But b/c of it, I had to use a longer thermowell. The direct competitor is Brewhardware. I did an item by item comparison and while some were cheaper in each, the price difference balanced out b/c of shipping costs. Each have reputible customer service so you should be fine either way.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are we safe to assume that you're going weldless?
Like ProzHack, I would highly recommend getting sight glasses from Bobby_M at brewhardware.com.
If you get his kit, it's easy to get a thermometer in the same hole as the sight glass. Plus, his sight glasses are the best quality I've found.
Also keep in mind that 3 piece valves on your kettles are more bling than function, so if you wanted to save some money there, you could.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
1KD1
Recipes 

Sorry for the delay. I replied to this thread a few days ago but apparently it didn't get saved.

I have a friend that is welding SS fittings for me but I could go weld-less for the thermometer/sight glass.

I will look into brew hardware. I already have the 3-piece ball valves so money is not important there. I have a lot of time and money wrapped up in this project so far... What's a few more dollars? :-)

Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
rekoob
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 11

agree with Bobby_M's sight glasses. I put one in my HLT and one in my BK, very high quality and they work great.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
1KD1
Recipes 

OK. I ordered two sight glass kits with thermos. Now I need the false bottom. Apparently JayBird is out of business??? The links I have found in these forums are all dead ends. I have done a few searches and sabco FB's seem to be liked the most but dang! They want over $100 shipped.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here is Jaybirds new address
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.co...er_Custom.html

Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just ordered two keggle FB's (15" reverse hinge, drilled with handle), two level 1 filtration stands, and three dip-tubes from Jaybird. The quality is top notch. I would definitely recommend them!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
1KD1
Recipes 

I will definitely check out those false bottoms. From what I have read, the 15" is best for converted kegs.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get this set up and brewing!

Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
1KD1
Recipes 

One more question. I would like to run the three burners on the brew stand. Is this possible with only one propane tank or will I have to make the stand big enough to hold three propane tanks as well?