Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bottling of first AG

Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
daum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottling of first AG

Well last night bottling was quite the exciting time. I had started around 830 or so, cleaned out a bunch of bottles. I knew my first batch AG was slightly less than 5 gallons and that I had drank most of my first batch by this point, which was around 50 or so bottles. I had also gotten new ones from friends and what not, so I wasn't worried about having enough bottles. Well as i was bottling I noticed wow this seems like i'm going though most my bottles fairly fast...hm so i got off the floor and looked into the bottling bucket....hm, about 1/3 left, and 1 bottle left. So what was the only logical thing to do? Drink a bunch of my beers from previous batches, have a friend over and try to get about 10-15 more bottles. Well after 2 hours, beerfest, 1 pizza had enough bottles to finish bottling. Was quite the night, the friend that came over said he wants to always bbe there for bottling time.

On a more serious note, when i smelled the beer/tasted the very end it smelt very sweet and tasted basically like grain water. I used the recipe for Eds House Ale. Is this smell/taste normal for AG? or did i go wrong?
Thanks,
Daum

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daum
On a more serious note, when i smelled the beer/tasted the very end it smelt very sweet and tasted basically like grain water. I used the recipe for Eds House Ale. Is this smell/taste normal for AG? or did i go wrong?
Thanks,
Daum
My 4 bottled AG batches haven't struck me as being all that much different from PM/Extract batches in those respects.... You are just gonna have to wait it out and see how it tastes after some conditioning.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you follow Ed's recipe pretty closely? What was your OG and FG? If it smelled/tasted sweet-bitter, like unfermented wort, then it's all too possible that you had a stuck fermentation....meaning, if I'm right, you just may end up with gushers or bottle bombs. So what was your FG?

I have a batch of the Haus Pale that I'm bottling this weekend, and it tastes awesome out of the carboy. My FG is around 1.012.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
daum
Recipes 

My hydrometer decided to take a leap during the brewing of session to its death. So no opening and closing. It fermented really well I thought..went strong for about 2-3 days then i let it sit for about a week...and bottled...we'll see how it comes out I really hope it works well as I have a brew day planned for Saturday. Going to get a new hydrometer too!
Daum

Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, strong ferments don't necessarily mean finished ferments. You'll have to wait and see, I guess, but normally, finished uncarbonated beers don't taste weirdly sweet. Sure, you've got to factor in the priming sugar, but that's not usually enough to make a huge difference in the taste. Did you stir your priming solution into the beer really well?

Good luck. Bottle bombs are no fun...pray that you don't get any!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
daum
Recipes 

you guys have me all worried that im' going to go home and find my room shot to pieces with bottle bombs!
Daum

Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
bigben
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, how long did it actually ferment? 1 week total or 9-10 days? That's kind of a short fermentation. You may want to put those bottles somewhere where they can't do much damage, and cover them up.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
daum
Recipes 

I did it for 10 days. Was what his recipe said I think=\. They are in my beer closet, it is a nice little closed thing but they are ontop of my other fermenters....we'll see what it looks like when i get home.
Daum

Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you have a basement or an extra fridge, cooler temp's may help.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 36 Posts

I bet you're fine. It's not a big beer and I doubt the SG would've dropped much (if any) after 10 days. Since you bottled so soon though, the bottles may benefit from a little more conditioning time before you start drinking.

My advice - RDWHAHB.